Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag >

Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag

Suggestions on Sewing Machine Trolley Bag

Old 09-17-2016, 02:47 PM

Tutto, is awesome! E xpensive, yes but I personally feel it is well worth it. Think of it this way, you've spent $$$$$ on your machine & therefore you need a good safe way to carry & protect your machine, plus you usually have extra room to pack your fabric I. & around for added cushion and great way to carry your fabric too.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:25 AM

I bought mine from Overstock.com. (I just looked, and it said they shipped to over 180 countries.) It was a good deal. My machine is larger than many, so I had to have a size I couldn't find locally. And I wanted wheels. This was several years ago, but I think I remember paying about $50.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 09-18-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:40 AM

I don't know what your weather is like, but I didn't like the fabric totes due to rain and snow issues. I bought a plastic tub that fit my machine pretty well. I then took the fabric I was taking along and padded the machine. I put the entire thing on a standard folding luggage cart, and added my notions tote (a box made for fishing). Everything was strapped together and impervious to the weather!

Pam
Old 09-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I always look in the suitcase section of thrift shops. Most have no idea a traveling machine case is different then a regular suitcase. I have found several Tutto machine rolling cases and many other brands for just a few dollars.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I would first check with a Bernina dealer to see if they make a bag specifically for your machine. If not, check Tutto bags. I googled "Tutto Bags Australia" and it looks like there are AU vendors for these well made bags.
I agree. I love my Tuttos.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:53 AM

TUTTO....How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

4 wheels for stability when rolling over the floor or on a parking lot.
The outer frame protects the precious content..my sewing machine.
easy to grab the Tutto by the frame in order to lift it into the car and to take it out of the car.
outside pockets for storing patterns, project bags, etc
extra room to carry my desktop Ott light (in its soft padded bag) in it. I just set it on top of the machine.
Easy to place the machine in the Tutto via the side zippered flap-door
two straps to secure around the machine for added safety and stability for tranporting. Seatbelts for the machine.
fits perfectly behind the front seats in my car.

Expensive? Yes..but the safe and easy transport of my machine is important to me. No buying regrets!

I have a two wheeled trolley that I use to store stash..,THAT one was a waste of $$.
Sandy
Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 AM

I'm enjoying this post. I've got a Brother PS1500 and a Bernina 1020. I'm thinking of transporting one or the other to quilt class and quilt sew-ins once/month. I'm torn between taking the older Bernina because if it gets damaged, it might be harder and more costly to fix. I love my Brother, but it's bigger, so would require a larger bag.

What I'd like to know from you all that have transported your machines to and from.......what damage can happen to them in transport? Do you put the needle down, keep it up? Is the danger in driving down the road hitting the bumps or is it rolling thru the parking lot in the ruts?

Any considerations on a bag that will protect better? I've heard the straps keep the machine safer in the tote bag. Is padding in the bag itself something that is important? Should the machine travel in the trunk or on the seat with a seatbelt?

I don't need to take my machine, but it's more fun to have my own to sew on. Just don't want to cause any damage if I can help it. What are the risks and "injuries" you have noticed in your traveling machine?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom/lessons learned you have. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 PM

I put the machine behind the front seat..I feel that protects it on both sides. Not sure putting a dead weight in a car seat with seat belts is a safe option......what a projectile that would be. I only pull my trolly over smooth surfaces.
sandy
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I just got a brother PQ 1500 and it fits nicely in the wheeled bag I got at Joann fabrics. Nothing special. I don't have far to travel so I put it in the trunk.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM

I'm always picking up or dropping off fabrics, books, quilts, etc., so I broke down and bought a folding wagon from Amazon. It was about $75 - you might get one cheaper at a hardware store right now as many people use them for garden carts. Mine rolls beautifully, carries everything, and folds up nicely. I expect to use it when we travel in our motor home, too.