Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for a travel machine.

suggestions for a travel machine.

I am in the for market for a small machine to take on trips. Just wondering what other are using. Iwould like to keep the price around 350.00. Looked at a Jamome Gem and I am thinking that the throat area is pretty small. Suggestions ?????

Blog Entries
    I just purchased a Janome DC1050 and it is not as small in size as a Jem but weighs less. Very easy for me to pick up and put in a tote bag and take with me. I am very happy with it so far. My Berninas got toomheavy for me to lug. I am sure they grew and it is not that I am getting weaker! Anyway, the DC1050 can be purchased on Amazon for $299. I actually got mine at a LQS and paid $350 but I do get 3 years of free service and a cleaning once a year for three years so thought that was worth the extra.

Depends on what you plan to do, obviously. I have a FW that I use for classes/travelling...depending on what I need to do. I don't MQ so unless a family member needs something specific that the FW doesn't do...that's my GO TO machine. Not even sure that I have a travel machine for heavy duty stuff anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by jude1040 View Post
    I am in the for market for a small machine to take on trips. Just wondering what other are using. Iwould like to keep the price around 350.00. Looked at a Jamome Gem and I am thinking that the throat area is pretty small. Suggestions ?????
    If you're wanting something that's smaller and lighter for travelling, then you're going to have to compromise on some of the extras. I would think there won't be any small machines with extra throat space!

Everything that I've heard about the Janome Gem has been good. In general it's 3/4 size of the regular DSM. Although, a little larger, a regular machine isn't really all that bigger or heavier.

When you think of it, the machine takes up very little space when we travel, compared to everything else that we "must" take along to be productive with the machine!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janome Platinum

Banned
    I have both a Jem Gold and Platinum
    Both are great little machines. The Platinum has needle down function and you can set it for a scant 1/4" seam allowance

Like Gollytwo, I have both the Jem Gold and Platinum. I love them both. I use the Platinum for almost all my piecing projects. (I keep the Gold for when one of my bee members is over and has her machine in for cleaning or whatever. I have traveled with both.)

I have the Gem that I use for pillowcase sew ins, it's lightweight and easy for me to put into a tote, add my sewing supplies and carry it with one hand. Friend recently looked for a Gem and found that the Platinum which has a few more nice features so she bought it.

Babylock audrey is what I would get. I drool over her. I have the Brother SQ9050 and it is a really good machine, love her. Got her at walmart for 200 with a 20 dollar rebate so I paid 180 total and it has the needle down function, drops feed dogs, stitches beautifully. Has lots of decorative stitches, is not too noisy. I have always used the low end brothers for travel and for regular sewing at home until I got my big girl and would recommend them any day. All of them still run beatifully to this day, one is 19 years old and one is 5 years old my xl-3500i which I have packed away for my daughter. it is a mechanical so it doesn't have all the features of my SQ9050 but it still sews nicely

If you can get by with straight stitching only, my pick would be a Singer 301.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast