Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions >

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 PM

Default Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

I will be traveling from CA to MN for family quilt/craft retreat. I would like to take my FW. I would like a rolling carry on bag or small rolling sewing machine bag to carry FW. Any suggestions and input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

​Make sure it will fit as a carry on. Bonnie Hunter said she had to check hers once and they broke hers.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 PM

I have a friend that just carries her's in the case and sticks in the overhead. Means it's her carry on and she has to check her other bags.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM

I have taken my Bernina from Colorado to New Hampshire. I packed it in the box it came in and checked it, did just fine but that has been several years ago.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 PM

I found a small backpack sized bag on wheels. (I actually thought it Was a backpack...but no straps!) It fits under the seat and has been used alot. I also used one of those canvas zipped bags (I think mine was Lands End..but that type) the first time I traveled with mine. It got a bit heavy lugging it that way, but totally would do it again. No brand on the backpack I am afraid. I would buy another one if I could find it! Bonnie had hers taken as it was a small plane and not much fit in the open overhead bins. I use my homemade kits as padding around the machine, putting my rotary cutter, mat and rulers in my checked bag. I don't take my long ruler...just shorter ones or squares.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-26-2017 at 02:27 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Banned

Costco has a small travel bag that is the perfect size for a FW and fits under the seat. I think Harbor Freight has something similar too.

Cari
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM

Great suggestions, thank you. I'll check out Costco. Small backpack on wheels sounds great also. I usually take a carryon and not check luggage, but I'm thinking I can only carry one bag, so it will have to be my sewing machine.
@soccertxi- good idea to use kits to pad machine. I do plan on doing the cutting at home (make kits). One leg of my flight is on a small plane, I would hope that if it didn't fit under my seat or overhead, they could put it somewhere safe.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:15 AM

After seeing a suggestion on this board for a rolling tool bag at Harbor Freight, I bought it. It works nicely. It has some pockets inside to store my cone of thread, box of bobbins and other stuff. For my machine, a Walmart Brother, it just fits in there but too tall to zip up which is ok for me since I only take it to the church a few blocks away. I don't know the size of your featherweight but check to see if your machine fits and can be zipped up and it is the size allowed on the plane. It was $25.00 at the time but there was a 20% coupon.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:43 AM

I used to travel a lot with my small Janome. I bought asmall carry-on that was just wide enough for it. I did not / do not trust the baggage systemfor the machine.
Be sure to put your large scissors, and rotary cutter (specificallythe blades) in your checked bag.

Enjoy your trip and retreat
Mike

Old 10-26-2017, 04:57 AM

I took a Bernina too to Colorado. I packed it in a rolling bag that would fit in the overhead. They wantd it out to check at security, but otherwise there was no issue.