Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Minky on a weighted blanket >

Using Minky on a weighted blanket

Using Minky on a weighted blanket

Old 11-03-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Using Minky on a weighted blanket

I'm making a 40X65" 20lb. weighted blanket with flannel on one side and minky on the other. Should I interface the minky with a lightweight non woven, like Pellon SF101? I'm concerned it will be too stretchy on the minky otherwise.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:49 PM

I made two out of muslin, and made a cover out of minkie. Then 'Tied' the 2 minkie and the muslin (like a tie quilt) at the intersections of the blanket.
I think the minkie would not hold up to the weight pellets.
Mike
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 AM

I've made one weighted blanket and used a tightly woven fabric--sheet. If you want flannel and minky, I'd use that like a pillowcase over the weighted unit so it can be laundered. I'd have concern that the pellets would wear through or be too heavy for the flannel and minky. I don't know that even using interfacing would make flannel or minky stable enough for the weight of the pellets.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
I made two out of muslin, and made a cover out of minkie. Then 'Tied' the 2 minkie and the muslin (like a tie quilt) at the intersections of the blanket.
I think the minkie would not hold up to the weight pellets.
Mike
What is a weighted blanket and what is it used for?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Not specific for just weighted blankets, but if you use a cover, like a duvet on any blanket. Comforter of quilt, stitch ribbon ties to the corners of the blanket, and then stitch ribbons to the inside corners of the cover, you can tie them together to keep the duvet in place when in use.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM

I have some minkie in storage. This may be a good use for it.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
What is a weighted blanket and what is it used for?

Do an online search for a better explanation but they are used for people with autism, sensory issues, or other behavior disorders. They can also be vests or just a pad to put on the lap. I believe the lap pads also are used for those with dementia when they are having an episode with frustration. The weight seems to have a calming effect.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 AM
Suz

Don't know about the weight of weighted blankets, but 20 pounds seems pretty heavy for an adult let alone a child. Is 20#s an accurate number? Just wondering.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 PM

In some research I have done on the weighted blankets, you should figure the blanket to be one pound per ten pounds of body weight. I assume that would include all fabric plus pellets. ex: A child weighing one hundred pounds, the completed blanket should weigh approximately 10 pounds. I plan on making three weighted blankets and have already purchased the smooth minky for the backing without realizing the info given above. Maybe I'll change my plans and make an inner blanket out of muslin and use my cotton top and minky backing as a cover. Thank you gals, you always seem to have all the right answers.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I've made one weighted blanket and used a tightly woven fabric--sheet. If you want flannel and minky, I'd use that like a pillowcase over the weighted unit so it can be laundered. I'd have concern that the pellets would wear through or be too heavy for the flannel and minky. I don't know that even using interfacing would make flannel or minky stable enough for the weight of the pellets.
this is what I was told my a quilter that teaches a class on this.