Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions >

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Air travel with Featherweight - need suggestions

Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Are you strong enough to lift the machine into the overhead and then able to get it down successfully, too? That would be a consideration for some. It's great to have your own machine but renting one might be a lot easier and convenient.
illinois: where would you rent a machine? LQS? Do most shops rent machines?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM

I bought a BlueFig bag (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for my FW. They are much less expensive than Tutto's. While they generally get very good reviews, I'm not sure that you can sit on them, as I have heard claimed of the Tutto bags.

Mine was not a wheeled bag (if you click on the link above, you will see it is a "project tote") but was plenty big enough for my machine to go in, as well as some fabric, and still fit easily under the seat. Not having wheels means two things: 1 - It's smaller, so can be tucked in smaller spaces, and 2: It's lighter. The smallest Tutto on wheels weighs 10 or 11 pounds on its own. Being this small and quite light, I could strap it onto the top of my mid-sized luggage that is on wheels until I checked luggage. From there onto the plane, and off the plane until I retrieved my suitcase, I had to carry it.

Unless you are going to buy things like scissors and/or rotary cutters at your destination and then leave them there when you go home, you will have to check a bag as those won't be allowed in the plane cabin. Even if you have a wheeled tote, you will need to be able to carry your bag at times - what if you have a gate that requires you to go up or down stairs? Wheeling them down the aisle of a crowded plane is difficult at best. If you can't carry it at all, I'd go with a separate luggage carrier (something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Folding-Com...s=luggage+cart) to allow you to wheel where you can. Still lighter, total weight, than a Tutto and still less expensive.

There's no way I would check a sewing machine, regardless of packaging. Shipping ahead might be an option, if you take it to one of the shipping places that will pack it themselves (even if being packed in original box) and guarantee the safe arrival. Of course, even then, if it arrives damaged, the guarantee won't help right then as you'd have to file a claim and wait for the money to buy a new one.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution that works for you and have a wonderful time! Sewing on vacation is the ultimate luxury for me. Couldn't care about spa visits or fancy restaurants. Give me some sun, quiet and sewing time!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:25 PM

I bought this small rolling bag at Walmart $35 Protege 16" Rolling Under-Seater Luggage. We only have small planes that fly out from my home airport and it fits perfectly under the seat. The front flap opens all the way so it is very easy to put in your FW. There is even some extra room for some fabric, etc. I took it to Paducah when I went.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-07-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: remove copyright picture
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 PM

@peaceandjoy- thanks for information and the links! Very helpful.
@ Marich52 - That looks like a great rolling bag. Thanks for the picture.
As always, this quilting board is such a helpful group of people!!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by D.Henson View Post
I am concerned with weight, carrying it around in the original case, for me, the totes w/ wheels would be best. Actually have never thought about renting. I will ask to see if someone attending has a machine I could use. I would prefer my own machine, but this is only a 4 day event so might be best to borrow if possible. Also, now I'm worried about the small plane. I wouldn't hesitate if I were taking large plane and had great tote. Thanks to suggestions on this board, I checked out several rolling carts. I really like the small Tutto - 17" carry on size. They sure are pricy!
I just got a Tutto. It's a really nice bag, but be aware that the sides are just the fabric. Not rigid. No padding. If you are going to travel with it, it would be good to have it in the original bag well padded.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:39 PM

I also can only fly out on a small plane to either Denver or Dallas. My carry on is collected before I go up the ramp to the plane and is waiting for me as I get off at the larger airport.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 AM

Besides sewing and quilting, I also play the violin. There is always a lot of discussion amongst violinists about the fears of traveling with a fiddle. Everyone's terrified that the airlines take their instruments away from them and put them in cargo. There's been lots of horror stories about smashed and damaged instruments. Both, sewing machines and violins, are so fragile, so I think that the travel requirements are very similar. I've never traveled with my beloved sewing machines, but I've had some close calls with my violins.

Whatever you do, don't let them talk you into putting it into the cargo hold! It will surely get damaged. They may try to take it from you. If they do, just start crying and carrying on about how it is so precious to you...really...I've done this myself...AND it works! Another time, I was on a short haul flight and the attendant at the gate reached out to take my violin from me to put in the cargo bin. I snapped it away from her hands and bellowed out, "NO!" That worked too...hee...hee! I can be mean and scary when I want to be. There are rules, but the attendants know that some rules are meant to be broken.

Bon Voyage!

~ C
Old 10-29-2017, 08:53 AM

the featherweight shop has one that should work...

https://singer-featherweight.com/col...nt=38426897731
Old 10-29-2017, 05:08 PM

@de_sjiem - Thanks so much for the link. Very cool canvas bag!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:50 AM

When I got my feather weight I had to get something to carry it in and my son suggested a bowling bag, well I went to the thrift store & got a nice one for $5.00 with a ball in it, that we painted a face on & put in the flower bed, the FW fits perfect, it holds my tools & some kits made up and easy to carry. It to would fit under the plane seat.