Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table runner >

Table runner

Table runner

Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Hello all,
I am looking to make a table runner quick and easy. Maybe spend an afternoon working on it. Any ideas ?
Thanks.
AlexJ
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 AM

Use a strip tube method. Take 8-2.5" strips, sew them in pairs, place them right sides together in sets of 2, stich each outer edge. You will have 2 sets of 4 strips. Then take a ruler, use the 45ēmark, line it on the bottom line of stitching and cut at an angle. You will flip the ruler back and forth, cutting triangles. You wil have 8 from each set, 16 total. Open up the triangles and you will have squares. Sew 4 squares together, matching the centers of 4 tri's. You will end up with 4 blocks, makes a nice sized table runner. Missouri Star Quilt company has a great tute on this.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 AM

You can't beat the 10-minute table runner for speed--and if you get good fabrics, for looks. But you can also take just about any three blocks and put together with sashing and borders. One of my favorites is made of two blocks (easy pumpkins) joined by a strip of fabric the same width, borders and triangle on the edge. (You can find oodles of ideas by googling "table runner patterns) or "table runner tutorial" or "free table runner patterns."
Old 09-25-2011, 06:06 AM

There are patterns for QAYG tablerunners. I do not have any but they are easy with a center block on point and chevron stripes out both sides and then a border and binding. Very easy.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Oops...didn't mention the most obvious source. Just search "table runners" on the quilting board!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 AM

Thank you all will be checking out all references and siting down working on the ideas this afternoon
Thanks Jdiane and Marymm great ideas like both will let you know how it come out.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

You can make this very simple or elegant. I made some extra long using brocade (old drapes at Salvation Army) and added fancy tassels at each end and they sold as soon as they were laid out on our guild sale table.

http://www.sweethomequiltco.com/user...e%20runner.pdf
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
You can make this very simple or elegant. I made some extra long using brocade (old drapes at Salvation Army) and added fancy tassels at each end and they sold as soon as they were laid out on our guild sale table.

http://www.sweethomequiltco.com/user...e%20runner.pdf
BellaBoo, That's the pattern I referred to. I think they exaggerate with the 10 minute, but I have made several for gifts and made a new Christmas one for me They are really easy. One hint, it really doesn't need batting, but I used flannel (the size of the widest fabric) on one and a lightweight iron-on fusible interfacing on another (liked it best.) I've also added decorative stitches around the edges (some around whole thing, another around just the inside.) Very versatile pattern.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:08 AM

oops
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM

Thank you, I just finished my first one and I too, also thought of using tassels. Thank you Both Marymm and Bellaboo fof the great tips. :thumbup: