Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate Quilt Question >

Dresden Plate Quilt Question

Dresden Plate Quilt Question

Old 09-25-2011, 06:21 AM

I bought a queen size Dresden Plate Quilt kit, and am stumped. How do I make sure the rounded ends are the same on each piece? I even bought one of the plastic, heat proof templates. Any suggestions? As you can probably guess, I have never made a quilt.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 AM

WOW, dresdan for a first quilt, I'm impressed. When I made mine I made the plates then appliqued onto a background square.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 AM

Ha - even I would not be foolish to attempt this for my first quilt - I am one of those who are still enjoying looking at my stash. I am making a baby quilt for my first attempt. You know,onw of the easy ones you sew 3 fabrics together and then split between each seam. My daughter made two and they really turn out so sweet and soft.

Would just like to "think" about the Dresden quilt.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 AM

There is a way(and template) to make a pointed end.. much more uniform and easier to applique down. I think there is a tutorial on the missouri quilt co website (i think..)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

if the template is marked heatproof, then i would guess that it is provided to iron your fabric over. the rounded end of the template should make sure that your rounded ends are all the same. didn't instructions come with it? pointed dresdens are much easier, but my opinion is that the rounded ones make a prettier quilt. as the others have mentioned, this is a challenging quilt for your first attempt. don't be afraid to keep asking questions if you have doubts about the next steps...
Old 09-25-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by johnnietate1225
I bought a queen size Dresden Plate Quilt kit, and am stumped. How do I make sure the rounded ends are the same on each piece? I even bought one of the plastic, heat proof templates. Any suggestions? As you can probably guess, I have never made a quilt.

Thanks.
There are several methods. You can use a bit of starch as you press the fabric around the template... You can use a gathering stitch around the curve and then press it around the template. You can stitch it down and pull out the paper template after it's stitched. (I use a gathering stitch. Press. Remove template and press again.) I think you are super to begin with such a challenge. :)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM

bravo to you for starting with the dresden, its not that hard and you'll learn so much.

i would do a facing edge since this is your first time and then you can machine applique the plate to the background fabric.

here is a tutorial on how to do facing on a dresden, its for a skirt (facing is popular in fashion sewing and art quilts)

even though its a skirt the facing process is exactly the same.

please feel free to PM me if you need help, i've made many dresden blocks and i do facings all the time.

here's the link

http://crafterhours.blogspot.com/201...-tutorial.html
Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 AM

That's wonderful that you're starting off with the Dresden Plate! :)

Don't be afraid - what's the worst that can happen?

The heat-proof template is perfect for pressing the ends of the petal under in perfect arcs to prepare them for sewing onto your blocks.

If you use a little teeeeeeny bit of Elmer's Washable School Glue or Roxanne's Glue Baste-It along the raw edge after you've turned it under, you can glue the plate into place on the block and heat set it with your iron. The hardened glue will be far enough from the outer edge to be any bother to you while you're sewing the plate to the block and it won't come out until you wash it.

Soak it for a while in warm soapy water, give it an old-fashioned scrubbing between your thumbs under running water and the blocks will be clean and soft and ready to sew on the sashings or set into rows. :)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Missouri Star quilt co has a nice tute and the the dresden tool. Very easy to use.

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
There is a way(and template) to make a pointed end.. much more uniform and easier to applique down. I think there is a tutorial on the missouri quilt co website (i think..)