Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tailor's Clapper >

Tailor's Clapper

Tailor's Clapper

Old 06-08-2014, 08:13 AM

I've seen these but not used one. Couldn't a person just use a piece of 2x4 or plywood to lay on the seam? You could add some sort of knob or handle if needed. Or, does it need to be made from a specific type wood? I ask because we have many, many,.....lots of pieces of wood in the garage that could potentially be used this way.

Margaret
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I asked DH if he could make one like the one I have. He said yes but the quality wood used was costly, the shape of the handle, smoothing, and joining would take a lot of time why not just buy another one if it was available. I got the impression it was the same as when someone asks me to replace a zipper. LOL
Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I've seen these but not used one. Couldn't a person just use a piece of 2x4 or plywood to lay on the seam? You could add some sort of knob or handle if needed. Or, does it need to be made from a specific type wood? I ask because we have many, many,.....lots of pieces of wood in the garage that could potentially be used this way. Margaret
These are made from a very dense, heavy wood with an extremely close grain. I believe mine is maple. Onebyone's husband is correct in that the wood is on the pricy side. You really don't need the carved handle, but the bottom needs to be perfectly flat. Soft wood, like 'white' wood 2X4's would absorb the steam and the grain would pop, I would also guess that plywood would delaminate thru use.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:31 PM

I've seen the device too and thought about getting one. Anything to improve the end result. Then i thought about the hundreds of seams in a king-size quilt. Oh my, I'm much too lazy to add a seemingly unnecessary step to an already long process.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I use it on each block but seldom on on the long seam rows.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM

I just saw this the other day on an email from Cozy Quilts. LOL - they all act like it is a new invention
Old 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM

I'd forgotten about my tailor's clapper. Will have to dig it out and give it a try on quilt seams.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 AM

This sounds crazy but I have an enamel coated cast iron casserole that I put on top of blocks after they are pressed. I had it in my sewing room to throw binder clips in and needed something to weight down some pesky darts in a jacket I was making and grabbed it because it was handy. The rest is history. The cast iron helps hold the heat from the iron. If the pile gets too high I just start another one.