Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Talk to me about thread

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    i use cone thread, signature, maxifil, quilting, i just buy the biggest cones i can find and then use them on serger, sewing machine, and quilting machine...the cost is one factor, the color availability is another... and the flexibility... I buy 3 shades of gray, black, and white in 4 cone lots for the serger, BUT everything else is in 2 color lots, just for the needles on the serger.... if i am sewing something that matters, the colors go on the 2 needle places, and the appropriate gray goes on the last 2 places... colors for the sewing machine, colors for the quilting machine, grays are for general sewing and quilting on the serger... ps........when i buy whites, i DO buy 2 whites, palest cream and palest ecru....that way when using 4 whites, one of them will be just right for the 'seam needle' that shows... i just move it to the right place and all the other whites are moved to accommodate it...

Blog Entries
    I like Madiera, gutterman and Threadart.coms thread. My machine seems to like it.
    Bonnie

I like the essentials line. So far no breakage or raveling.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I like CT threads, Signature, also Mettler, King Tut, and Aurifil. I do not like Coats & Clark or Guttermann.
    Perhaps some trial and error to find some that work for you~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    With those problems the first thing I'd do would be to try another kind. Sometimes a machine does not like particular types of thread.

I just recently tried Aurifil. It seems pricey, but with it being so fine, you get a lot more mileage and it makes for such a nice finish on your work. I didn't think different thread could make such a difference. Now I know! And now I have a lot of other thread in my stash that I don't want to use, now that I've found Aurifil, though I will have to, to get it used up.
    I can ditto all of that!! I loved the Aurifil compared to most others that I had tried so much that I splurged and bought the color card!

I still use some others: Gutterman, mettler (60wt in the bobbin is my fav), Superior King Tut, and a few others.

I don't like C&C - had the same breakage problem combined with way too much lint build up. Hated Connecting Threads Essential line - had 10 spools and sold them I disliked it so much - the lint was incredible!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I use Gutermann......Coats & Clarks is horrible as far as I am concerned. Poor quality and leaves lots of lint.
    The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3