Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching a 10 year old to sew >

Teaching a 10 year old to sew

Teaching a 10 year old to sew

Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM

My mom showed me how to sew when I was in first grade. I made doll clothes for my baby dolls and Barbies. I think it is so neat to teach all children to sew. My boys learned to cross-stitch and when Mike was in the Navy, he knew how to sew on his own patches.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm just trying to keep the excitement for my DGD. She is only 3 y/o, but loves to be with me in the sewing room, cuts fabric, irons it (her iron doesn't heat up). I'm starting her with charm blocks to make a patchwork quilt.
We'll see this weekend.
I'll watching this post to see how others are doing.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM

My grandaughter is 9 years and likes to sew along with me. I usually use my Juki for piecing so I let her start on my Janome 6600. First I taught her what all the buttons are for and how to operate the machine. She picked up on it very fast. She likes to do her own designing rather than a pattern. She has made purses, pillows, little blankets and other small things. Kids seem to pick up the electronics so fast what with using computers and all. I do have to watch that she doesn't get into my good fabric, for now. I like to see her be creative about her choices of what to make. I wish more kids had the chance to learn to sew/quilt for it is so rewarding and keeps them from bad things.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 PM

My mother taught me to sew on her Singer 15 91 when I was 8. I wanted to make doll clothes. She thought I needed to learn to do it right - I only sewed my finger once, but that was 3 years later. No big deal, she helped me get the needle up, stopped the bleeding and I was back at it in minutes.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM

A pillowcase.....easy straight lines and every night she'll think of grandma :)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Just started my granddaughter this week with charm squares making coasters. We chalk-lined the sewing lines and it was amazing by the third coaster, she was doing quite well. So...everyone got coasters this week. Then I purchased some Debbie Mumm fabric on the clearance rack that had lines running through it. We just sandwiched it with flannel and another DM on the back. It was great for her. She got really good at following the lines. She made a "quilt" out of it. We just folded over the edges twice instead of binding.

She lives 1000 miles away and was so sad to leave. We had gotten her a child's sewing machine and it worked okay, but within a couple of hours she was ready to move on to the big machine. FYI...I don't know about other makes, but the Bernina has a "safety attachment" that can be added to the machine. I just happened to come across one when I was out in CO last winter. It keeps the fingers safe. Our granddaughter is just 8, and is so in love with sewing...too bad her mom isn't interested. All she wanted to do growing up was bounce a basketball. Guess that was okay since it got her a college scholarship.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 AM

Sorry to be a downer but you asked for opinion-I looked at that sewing machine & there is a good chance that it won't work very well & just frustrate her & be turned off sewing forever. And you don't want to spend your little time together trying to get a decent stitch.
I would suggest letting her use your real machine, at 10 she is capable & you will be surprised how quickly they catch on.
Just last week I showed my 7 yr old granddaughter & 11 yr old next door neighbor how to cut out & sew a simple tote bag-no lining, more like a grocery bag. They both loved making it & were so proud, after they were finished, I didn't do any of the sewing-just showed them where & when. I gave them each a new spiral notebook to put it in. (20 cents on sale at Walmart). They each used my computerized machine & loved the scissor cutting button.
Maire
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 AM

I also started my DGDs sewing without thread on paper to follow the lines. Then we made pillow cases. Easy and they were able to use them right away. Kids seem to do better with instant gratification. At least mine do.
Sue
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM

I'd start her with a pillowcase. Then I'd move on to just a 4 or 9 patch pillow. :) I'd make the project(s) small, something easily attainable like an instant gratification thing. If you start too big it might turn her off.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM

You must have had a wonderful step-mom like I was!