Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Why??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What is the fascination with Featherweights ?? I think they are cool to look at,but I have spent years longing for a machine with a few bells and whistles,and finally got a nice one.Is it just a thing to look at or do you USE them? I would sure miss my thread cutter and needle down feature!

Blog Entries
    Lightweight and easy to take to workshops - I don't like heaving my Bernina 730E with me, and I don't think it would do it any good either.

Cute (no contest on that one), and easy to maintain myself (brilliant, so no cost). I have a 222 which means I can drop the feed dogs, I also have a zig zagger so I have 4 fancy stitches in addition to a perfect straight stitch, and yes, I use mine to piece with.

I saw lots in Paducah - both for sale (NOT cheap) and being used. I even got to use one.

They told me they use them at shows because they're so light weight (and they are TINY!!! I didn't realize they were so small).

They also told me they use them at home because nothing sews a better straight line than a FW. That kind of makes sense - the machine was built to do one thing - sew a straight line. It does it flawlessly.

Piecing ... I'd love one. Quilting - no way. Unless it was a minature. These machines are SMALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    What is the fascination with Featherweights ?? I think they are cool to look at,but I have spent years longing for a machine with a few bells and whistles,and finally got a nice one.Is it just a thing to look at or do you USE them? I would sure miss my thread cutter and needle down feature!
    I'm with you, I like all my bells and whistles.

A Fad among quilters perhaps? I can see collecting about anything, heck I collect rocks. I see your point some spend literally thousands on a fancy machine and then have to have a featherweight. I am thinking it is the "in thing"

They're great for piecing, and very easy to maintain. No plastic parts so with care they will last forever. Wonderful to take to a workshop. I love mine.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Same here. I love mine!! They are addicting- I have several old Singers now. I love how they're made, how they look, sound, etc. The quality is amazing.
    However, I do have a Bernina although she's been lonely lately b/c I have so much fun sewing on my old machines!! :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    A Fad among quilters perhaps? I can see collecting about anything, heck I collect rocks. I see your point some spend literally thousands on a fancy machine and then have to have a featherweight. I am thinking it is the "in thing"
    FWs came out in 1933 or 1934, I think, and hundreds of thousands were made. That kind of demand over thirty years of production and the current demand despite less expensive machines with more features certainly speaks to a certain QUALITY. We have been sewing on these little beauties for over 75 years, and they still work fabulously. I love my computerized machines, but I don't expect them to work for 75 years. Fad? I don't think so.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    With the Featherweight you have the portability that is really nice if you want to take it with you. Forgot to add that.

Blog Entries
    I may have to look for a reasonaby priced one. I guess it would be easier to take in the camper for the winter.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast