Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Why??

Blog Entries
    I've often wondered about FW. I'd probably have one too, but I just don't have the room for one.

looking for one since every one says they sew but not easy most are used and not for sell straight sewing is a must in quilting

Blog Entries
    I am not crazy about the bells and whistles. I have no problem threading my own machine. I am more than able to cut my own thread. Bobbins running out of thread are not an issue, I always have a filled one ready so I don't have to unthread my machine. My 301a holds a separate spool for filling the bobbin.

No matter how much you pay for those bells and whistles what you really have is a hunk of plastic that is considered to be disposable. The gears will get hot and wear out. My little 301a has been around and sewing for over 40 years. It is quieter than the new machines, does not do a little dance across the table every time I sew, does not need to be reset before I start sewing because some fool fixed the electronics to return to a specific setting when the machine is turned off.

When I began quilting two years ago, I bought a new sewing machine wonder. I took it to guild three times, brought it home and returned it to its box. One day it will be donated or sold for almost nothing because I dislike it so much. I have since purchased at least ten vintage machines that I can clean and maintain without taking them in for expensive service charges.

If one of my machines does give up the ghost, I can sell it for scrap and it will not contribute to the ever growing pile of trash.

All I really need is a machine that sews forward, reverse, and a zigzag stitch when needed and I can still meet those requirements with a vintage machine. Yes I have a FW, but prefer my 301a.

I had mine with me when we lived in the motor home for three years. I is small and sews beautifully. It is just right for small places. I never could have lived without quilting for that time.

I have no idea. I love my Berninas, love the knee lift,
    the 5 needle postions, etc.
    Maybe for classes they are light and easy to carry. (?)
    I don't take classes and my machines never leave their cabinets.
    I love the computerized machines.

I want one!

Blog Entries
    I guess I need to chime in too. I didn't realize how small they are till I saw them at the Lancaster Quilt show. I guess that would be fine for quilt assembly, but then you need another machine for quilting. I don't go to quilt classes or anywhere I need to take a machine, so I guess I will just live out the rest of my life without a FW. I have roughly 11 machines ranging in age from a hand crank Singer, my mother's Singer from 1936 on up to my Viking Diamond. Oh, I even have a White treadle. I don't have space to display all of them so I will use the new ones with all the bells and whistles and occasionally get an old one out just to hug.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I've often wondered about FW. I'd probably have one too, but I just don't have the room for one.
    Sure you can find the room for a FW. They don't weigh much, and they are small. LOL

I love my Featherweight. Went to a retreat last summer and there were 12 of us there. 6 had Featherweights and the other 6 had large computerized machines. the lady giving the retreat said she had never seen so many Featherweights ay one time. They do make a beautiful stitch, easy to carry, low maintenance, reliable and others have said "so cute". They are here to stay and if you have the opportunity-try one. They do sew nicely. I also have other machines-A Bernina Artista, Necchi, treadle, serger, and I love them all for their individual uses.
    Happy Stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    Riversong, I'm with you. I have the thread cutter on the foot pedal on my Juki and really, really miss that feature when I change over to the Baby Lock Ellegante! And, you know what, I lifted one of a friends Featherweights and it wasn't that lightweight! Really cute to look at though. I have a 25 year old Bernina that still sews like a charm that I use sometimes at the lake.
    It weighs 11 lbs. My Janome I was taking to class weighs about 25. Now the weight of my machine, quilting supplies and fabric weigh about 25 lbs. Big difference.

Angie

In years to come, my computerized machine will be worth very little. In years to come, my FW and my other old machines will be money in the bank, they don't wear out and they don't need an expensive Dr. to fix their ills.

I have a Babylock Embroidery/Sewing machine and thank goodness I kept my little Elna because with all the bells and buzzers tons of fancy stitches, it does not like heavy weight material like jeans, breaks needles all the time. Even doing my hooded bath towels it some times bulks at the thickness. So I use my little elna for all of regular sewing. I am trying to learn to quilt and have done a couple baby quilts and one for my moms full bed nothing fancy just squares, but find that I have a hard time keeping a stright 1/4 and sometimes if you look at the stitches they themselves are not stright. It makes a lot of sence that a machine that was designed to do only stright stitching will have no play side to side and the result is a true stright stitch. So to make a long stroy short I am going to be on the look out for a Featherweight at sales this summer or save and hope to get a good price on one on e-bay just for peiceing

They are wonderful for piecing miniature quilts and one can purchase an exact 1/4" foot. I've really enjoyed mine and it is easy to maintain, just oil and grease regularly and keep it lint-free (like any machine).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora
    I am not crazy about the bells and whistles. I have no problem threading my own machine. I am more than able to cut my own thread. Bobbins running out of thread are not an issue, I always have a filled one ready so I don't have to unthread my machine. My 301a holds a separate spool for filling the bobbin.

No matter how much you pay for those bells and whistles what you really have is a hunk of plastic that is considered to be disposable. The gears will get hot and wear out. My little 301a has been around and sewing for over 40 years. It is quieter than the new machines, does not do a little dance across the table every time I sew, does not need to be reset before I start sewing because some fool fixed the electronics to return to a specific setting when the machine is turned off.

When I began quilting two years ago, I bought a new sewing machine wonder. I took it to guild three times, brought it home and returned it to its box. One day it will be donated or sold for almost nothing because I dislike it so much. I have since purchased at least ten vintage machines that I can clean and maintain without taking them in for expensive service charges.

If one of my machines does give up the ghost, I can sell it for scrap and it will not contribute to the ever growing pile of trash.

All I really need is a machine that sews forward, reverse, and a zigzag stitch when needed and I can still meet those requirements with a vintage machine. Yes I have a FW, but prefer my 301a.
    My machine doent have a lot of bells and whistles,the thread cutter I like for free motion quilting.I dont use the threader.It does no zig zag.I got it solely for free motion and it runs at 1500 stitches a minute. I was not intending to put anyone down for wanting the fetherweights. I wouldnt mind one myself,but I dont go to any classes or workshops,and my little singer works great for piecing.And mine is NOT computerized.

Blog Entries
    I want a Featherweight!

I'm not ashamed: I SOMETIMES HAVE TROUBLE SEWING A STRAIGHT LINE. A Featherweight wouldn't help me. My Bernina w/bells & whistles does help,especially the 1/4 in foot.

It's only 9 lbs! That's nothing compared to my fancy multi-talented machine. I presently own 3 FW's and am always on the lookout for more!! I set them up with different colored threads so I use less time changing colors. I just scoot from one to the next! Love that one was my moms and one was my dear mil's. There's family history in those machines - they made many school clothes for my sister and I and wedding gowns or my dh's cousins over the past 60 years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    Riversong, I'm with you. I have the thread cutter on the foot pedal on my Juki and really, really miss that feature when I change over to the Baby Lock Ellegante! And, you know what, I lifted one of a friends Featherweights and it wasn't that lightweight! Really cute to look at though. I have a 25 year old Bernina that still sews like a charm that I use sometimes at the lake.

Keep looking, Nancy. The rewards are great in owning a featherweight!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
    I want a Featherweight!

they can be found, but expect to pay the price unless you get lucky and find one at a yard sale.....my sis in Orlando found one like new in the box for $10!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavada
    looking for one since every one says they sew but not easy most are used and not for sell straight sewing is a must in quilting

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C
    Keep looking, Nancy. The rewards are great in owning a featherweight!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Ingham
    I want a Featherweight!
    I will Debbie, Thank you! :-D :-D :-D :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    We have fashionistas, apronistas and we have featherweightnistas, what's wrong with that?!

They are not a fad as I have wanted one for over 25 yrs. Finally got one last year. It's so light weight and easy to take to class. Very reliable. I have come to realize at home I use it for piecing all the time. I don't have to take it in for regular maintenance that costs a small fortune like I do with my bells and whistles machine. It's easy to do the maintenance myself. Believe me people who own them almost all own a fancy machine for doing other stitches and for actually quilting. Some people with extra money collect them-maybe that's a fad. But no they are really worth it.
    Kat

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    A Fad among quilters perhaps? I can see collecting about anything, heck I collect rocks. I see your point some spend literally thousands on a fancy machine and then have to have a featherweight. I am thinking it is the "in thing"
    They've been "in" since I was in high school, which was in the late 70's. My mom has had them for years and it is true. She doesn't quilt at all. They do great buttonholes--she has one set up with the buttonholer all the time (a special attachment). It DOES sew a great straight line.

But I feel like the OP of this thread...I just spent a lot on a Janome Horizon and I'm thankful for it.

But the featherweights are great machines. I think they aren't a "fad"--they are a "classic".

My machine is a Brother XR9000 that I got at Costco for $150. It was an upgrade for me: Needle up/down, needle threader and serpentine stitch! So, I don't have a fancy or expensive machine. I would love to have a featherweight for all the reasons posted. Also, I like the idea of sewing like my grandma did. She taught sewing for the Singer company in the 30's and 40's. Just like hand work ties me to women of the past, a Featherweight would too. Yes, I am a hopeless romantic! And I want a featherweight, but can't afford one. And, I never see good deals in my area:-(

Is there, a difference between feather weight and light weight????? I recently started going to a quilting group... I have a 30 year old Viking I do not wish to carry around (very heavy) and could get bumped, stop working :(
    I've been looking at some little machines for UNDER or about $100.00 just to take back and forth. These machines should be OK just for class (YOU THINK) ? I really know nothing about machines. like a car get in and go. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast