Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Temporary basting spray adhesive and glue sticks, let's talk!

505 is what I use!

I use the elmers school glue for alll my bindings and have never had my machine or needle get sticky from it. I also heat set with the iron as I glue it to the quilt. When all finished it doesn't cause problems and washes out completely. I also use 505 or kk2000 without any problems for basting the quilt together. Some sprays are just gooey, but these two I've named work very well. good Luck

Suzy

I tried JT & Dritz brands and thought I didn't ever want to use spray adhesive on quilts again. Then I got hold of some 505 and LOVE it!!

Just bought a new can today - a 10.98 oz. can (Really, who comes up w/ the amount in a can? Couldn't they go to 10.75 or 11?). $20!! Ugh, what a boring way to spend $20. But I detest basting, have tried every method known, and this is the least annoying (probably b/c it takes just a few minutes).

I have used sullivans and 505 and like them both. It makes basting the quilt so much easier.

I bought a can of 505 for 12.50 at my quilt shop. basted a quilt for kids guilt. I didn't know if I was applying enough spray, but it worked very well. I won't be going back to hand or pin basting

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I've never used glue sticks while sewing. However, I swear by 505 Basting Spray....it works great!

Here is a nice place to purchase -- and the price is very reasonable:

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...x_TD20276.HTML

Ditto. Love 505.

I prefer 505, but when my local quilt shop runs out of it I buy Dritz (in a small yellow can) from Jo-Ann's. June Taylor spray doesn't stick enough & when you're quilting it will allow the layers to shift... disaster!

Does anyone use Sulky's spray adhesive? Joann's sells it. The can is rather small but Joyce Drexler on all the TV programs where she guests says you only need to spray a little so the small can goes a long way. I've never seen 505 at Joann's; I wish they carried it.

505 is all i use as well.
    I put a tutorial on my blog for using it to baste quilts. it's great stuff!!

http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...-how-do-i.html

Hope this helps!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
    Does anyone use Sulky's spray adhesive? Joann's sells it. The can is rather small but Joyce Drexler on all the TV programs where she guests says you only need to spray a little so the small can goes a long way. I've never seen 505 at Joann's; I wish they carried it.
    I used Sulky and it worked fine for me. If I am remembering correctly, though, it has a strong chemical smell. Be sure your area is well-ventilated when you use it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast