Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Temporary basting spray adhesive and glue sticks, let's talk!

Wait a minute here...

You can use basting spray to baste all three layers together and you don't need PINS? They stay attached and you can roll the quilt to quilt it and the layers don't come apart? You can get all three layers nice and tight with a spray?

I need to sit down...

Hmmm, got to go to Joann's today for some Heat and Bond, think I'll look for that little can of Sulky KK2000. Athough I don't need it right now, having just bought the 505, but have an extra coupon...

Yes, you can baste using a spray. No pins, no thread! I LOVE it! I've done several small quilts and table toppers this way. I haven't tried it for a full sized quilt, so can't comment on whether it would hold long enough for that. I've sprayed & layered one day, quilted the next, so know it holds that long, but not sure about over several days?

Blog Entries
    i can't speak for anybody but me. when i use spray baste, all 3 layers do generally stay stuck together. however, the process of rolling, unrolling, and re-rolling does disturb things a bit.

i get my best results when i take the time to re-smooth the back and smooth/pat the front [back into] place each time i get ready to do the next stage of quilting. since i'm mostly a ditch-stitcher, i re-smooth before each new line of quilting.

is that necessary? i couldn't swear to a "yes" or a "no". it's what i do when i want to be sure things will turn out as planned.

even that extra work beats the heck outta basting the whole thing first.

When I'm hand quilting, after spraying and assembling, I like to press with a dry, hot iron to get all the remaining wrinkles out. It also seems to BOND all 3 layers together -- just try taking that sucker apart :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I bought the June Tailor brand at WM and love it...maybe you over sprayed it...I use it to told in/the/hoop embroidery in place and works well. I bought a brand at Perfect Stitches and couldn't use it because it was so extremely wet. Really gummed things up...I used the 505 brand also but really more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    Wait a minute here...

You can use basting spray to baste all three layers together and you don't need PINS? They stay attached and you can roll the quilt to quilt it and the layers don't come apart? You can get all three layers nice and tight with a spray?

I need to sit down...
    Yes, yes, yes. I did a dance when I tried it the first time. Life is good isn't it.

You can most definitely spray baste all three layers of a quilt of any size without any pins, and it is just wonderful. Very time saving. For those of you who find 505 expensive, my bet is that you are using more than you need. one can will do a queen and several small quilts, or possibly 2 queens. Control "overspray" by spraying from the edges toward the middle and walk very quickly around your quilt.
    My blog has a photo explanation and if you need any help, please post on the blog directly (or here) and I'll do my best to help you out.
    http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...-how-do-i.html

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all....
    Lisa
    www.quiltersparadiseonline.com

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    I only use 505 because that's all I can find here. I ONCE used another kind of spray glue, turns out it was not water soluable and it totally ruined my quilt!
    I know you can get bigger cans of 505, but the only ones I can get are the small ones and they're 16 bucks.

since she's embroidering, I'm guessing that it's something that she can't hoop, like a towel. I tried to hoop the fusible stabilizer then press the towel to it (like the instruction said) and it did not stay stuck so i haven't been able to do towels. I'd like to know more about how it's done myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I bought the June Tailor brand at WM and love it...maybe you over sprayed it...I use it to told in/the/hoop embroidery in place and works well. I bought a brand at Perfect Stitches and couldn't use it because it was so extremely wet. Really gummed things up...I used the 505 brand also but really more expensive.
    Lately, it won't even make the fabric sticky. I tried it again yesterday, but it wouldn't stick. I shook the can for the full 2 minutes like it says. So, I went back to the glue stick. It didn't gum up the needle yesterday. So, maybe, I'm thinking it was the masking tape that I used on the back of the design when my stabilizer and design separated. I was almost finished, and the design was about to come off the stabilizer. So, I went through my stash to find some thicker stabilizer, but I still think I need to buy some a little thicker. I don't understand why the June Tailer spray isn't working at all now! ODD!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    since she's embroidering, I'm guessing that it's something that she can't hoop, like a towel. I tried to hoop the fusible stabilizer then press the towel to it (like the instruction said) and it did not stay stuck so i haven't been able to do towels. I'd like to know more about how it's done myself.
    I've ordered some of the sticky stablizer for un-hoopables, but what I'm doing that I need the spray basting or glue for is In-The-Hoop ornaments. I bought the designs from Embroidery Library emblibrary.com. First, you embroider the die lines (2), cut them out. These will be the fabric used to embroider that becomes the ornaments. I'm using felt. Then, you hoop a piece of tear away stabilizer and embroider another die line. Then, you spray the basting or glue onto the back of the fabric you cut out and put it inside the die line in the hoop. the next thing the embroidery machine does is tack down the outer edges. Then, it will continue to embroider the designs. AFter all the inside work is done, it's time to glue/baste the back fabric on and put a ribbon in between to hang it by. Then, it sews around the outside again to embroider the two pieces together. The ones I'm working on now also have two buttonholes that sew because they are the little candy cane holders. I will find a link to this, so you can all see what I'm doing. I don't think I'm explaining it very well. It is really a lot of fun, and I hope to have at least 40 done for my kids' classes as gifts. I want to find the candy cane pens or pencils instead bc of the no candy rule.

Here is what I'm doing:

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...log=Elprojects

Why can't you hoop towels?

Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    Why can't you hoop towels?
    I guess you can hoop towels but it would leave a mark and would be very bulky. When I embroidery towels (bath or hand towels), I hoop a piece of tear away stabilizer. Using the 505, spray the top of the stabilizer -- I hold it over my waste basket ------ never use spray basting close to your machine. OK, I place hoop in machine and then towel on top, taking care to make sure I have it where it needs to be. On the very top, use a very light weight water soluble - this keeps the nap from being beat down. When finished, tear off the stabilizer and as much as the water soluble on front as possible. Spritz with water -- you're done! :D Make sense??

Oh, so the towels get hoop burn. I've only done some kitchen towels, and they were low nap.

Blog Entries
    I put my stabilizer in my hoop. Then I made a template that is bigger than the hoop and with the center cut out to match the embroidery area. Then when I spray the stabilizer it only goes on the stabilizer and off of the hoop itself.

I have found that some of the paper type stabilizers don't get very sticky from basting spray. I spray...wait a few minutes and then spray a second or third time before it gets sticky enough to hold the fabric down.

Another thing that works is double sided sticky wonder under. Put it on the back side of your applique fabric, cut it out, remove the paper and stick it on the hooped fabric. No ironing is needed :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by adriansmom
    505 spray...definitely. I haven't found anything better!! I won't use anything else.
    I agree!! I have tried other sprays and they are CRAP compared to the 505 spray!!!! I love that stuff!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I'm not clear on what you are doing, but when I need to embroider on fabric that isn't dense, I use fusible iron on interfacing to strengthen the fabric. I wouldn't use any kind of glue near my hoop, too risky.
    what do you mean, while the hoop is on the machine....you spray away from the machine and then attach. I use a cardboard box that I keep for that very purpose. I clean my hoops with alcohol to get the adhesive off and they work fine

Blog Entries
    On some of the applique emb work...you stitch out the outline, cut fabric that just fits inside that outline and apply basting spray to the back of that fabric to hold it in place. Then the machine continues to stitch around the applique piece. Some of the applique is free standing, some is left on the fabric, depending on the design and use.

Another tip I have heard is this, for items that can't be hooped... use a medium weight water soluble just under the fabric...if you apply just a touch of water it will become sticky and you can use that stickiness to hold your item in place. They use this method alone, or along with basting the fabric into the hoop.

Blog Entries
    at one time someone on the board was using the old "aquanet" hair spray, same ingredients as 505 she said, Never found it to try LOL

I tried to do some nice plush towels when I first got my machine, the hoop (outside) almost busted while I was trying to close it over the hooped towel, was going to try some thinner ones but haven't.

Blog Entries
    I tried to do some nice plush towels when I first got my machine, the hoop (outside) almost busted while I was trying to close it over the hooped towel, was going to try some thinner ones but haven't.
    with thick items like that I use the sticky one....you hoop in and then score the top paper to reveal the stick side and then line your item up and stick it down. I have tack down designs for 4x4 and 5x7 so then I just proceed with my embroidery. if it really plush use a piece of water soluble over the towel. Your embroidery won't disappear. Hope this helps

Oh. I understand that! Sometimes I think I'm going to need a hammer just to hoop felt and stabilizer! (Which I would let no hammer near my hoop in reality, but it feels like it needs it sometimes!);)

I'm still using the glue stick. It must've been the masking tape that made the needle gum up and NOT the glue. I'm using a little thicker stabilizer now so the design doesn't just pop right out from all the stitching.
    I had to try something to save my design! I kept wiping the needle down with alcohol at every thread change and sometimes a couple of times in between. I saved the design!

I ordered some of the spray basting from Connecting Threads. We'll see how I like it when it arrives. I'm pretty happy with this glue stick, though! :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    With towels, doesn't the basting stitch hold it in place? why do you need anything sticky? just curious-
    I have never had any designs that did a basting stitch first..... :oops:

Blog Entries
    I got them for free (4x4 and 5x7) at sewforum.com....use them all the time now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast