Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thailand >

Thailand

Thailand

Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM

Default Thailand

Some of you may know I recently had surgery and am slowly getting back into moving around. I would love to make a quilt for my surgeon. He is from Thailand and by the time I get something together he may not even remember me LOL. BUT when I say Thailand and quilt does anything come to mind?? I've tried googling and can't seem to find anything. I'm thinking a lap size. Or would you just go with what I already know how to do? I have his nurse sonnping to find out his favorite colors in case I can't find some Thai. Thanks Jane
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I would do something smaller like a mug rug for his office. I think of brown/tan and maybe a jungle green batiks. That is what popped in my mind. I gave 2 dozen mug rugs out to my neighbors and everyone just keeps telling me they are using them everyday. I would keep it small and simple after your surgery.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM

What a thoughtful idea. I know nothing about Thailand, and have no ideas for you, just wanted to say you are a thoughtful person and I bet he will be thrilled with whatever you do.

Dina
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Thailand makes me think of batiks. Perhaps a notebook with a beautiful batik cover would be nice.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Here is a site with some very nice fabrics from Thailand. I really like the indigo batik fabric. Thailand is also well known for silk.

I know that South Korea has a tradtion of using things in three's, as in 3 colors, three rows, coloumns, objects, etc. Do some shearches for the history of Thailand.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThaiTextileShop

Hope you are well into your recuperation.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 01-28-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Batik fabric would be the way to go...
I like the idea of a few mug rugs...they would be very useful to him. One for his desk at the office...or for each of his offices.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Been to Thailand and have the fabric. Like others have said a batik would be great. Love the idea of a mug rug too. Or a small wallhanging. Go to www.thaifoodandtravel.com and scroll down to the bottom of the home page where it says photo page. Go there and down at the bottom is a category of photos for Thailand fabric.

Many of the other photos may give you inspiration. Lots of snorkling and jungle pictures that you might interpret in your project.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Batik fabric would be the way to go...
I like the idea of a few mug rugs...they would be very useful to him. One for his desk at the office...or for each of his offices.
I agree. What a thoughtful thing for you to do!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Try footling pictures of Thailand. I agree with the others though. Smug rug or small wall hanging would be more appropriate and easier to get done. Continued speedy recovery
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

How about a medical related wall hanging for his office or waiting room. I've seen some really cute ones done. Might google that if you are interested. Something to think about.