Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thangles question  HELP! >

Thangles question HELP!

Thangles question HELP!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 AM

I agree 100% with this advice.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Both above posts are correct. I have used them since they first came out. Use a shorter stitch like one does with paper piecing and yes, fold it and finger press and then gently pull. Have a trash can nearby. These are great when making scrappy HST.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:08 AM

Thanks to all for great suggestions. I tried a few on some already stitched pieces and I have another batch ready to sew so I will add more of your ideas. I have been pressing them before removing the paper. I ordered the Triangulations CD and I can see using lots of HSTs in the future.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 AM

I use a shorter stitch and the fold on the stitch line and use my nails to make a sharp edge with the paper outside fold. It rips down the sew line. And comes off.

Some people I heard spray with water on seam line not sure about it. I think I would starch before spraying to stop stretching.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

Shorten your stitch length, thangles paper is made for stitching through and tearing away fairly easily. Start with a little tear at the edge then it will tear away the rest of the way easily - I often use about (18) stitches per inch when paper piecing which makes tearing away quite fast and easy
Old 06-28-2014, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
I found vellum paper at Staples, but wonder can you run it through your inkjet printer.
http://www.staples.com/vellum+paper/...y_vellum+paper
I use vellum all the time when embroidering. I print out my design on vellum so I can lay it out on my embroidery area to "audition" it. So yes, it will go through an inkjet printer. And I HAVE sewed through it. But I would think it would be a little expensive to use very much of it. I hate paper-piecing, so I guess I won' t ever try thangles. I don't like the paper removal either. I can find better things to do in the time it takes to pull that paper off the back of what I am sewing.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 AM

All of the ideas are good. I use shorter stitch length as well as folding the paper. For PP with Triangulations I use the scribble pad paper from the Dollar Tree. It has to be trimmed before placing a stack in my printer because it comes in 9x12 sheets @ 40 sheets for $1.00, which is very cheap compared to actual PP paper. Scribble pads also come in a larger size as well, if you have a wide carriage printer.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 AM

I do the "fold the paper and stitch next to the fold", but if you have already stitched onto the paper, I would take a ruler placed right on the sewing line, then use the back of a seam ripper to score the paper right next to the sewing. Someone suggested to do that with a pin, but a seam ripper is easier to handle.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:07 AM

You can get paper made just for piecing and it tears much easier. Check your local quilt shop.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Funny, my friend just sent me this website: http://www.tadatriangles.com/
I like Thangles, Triangles on a roll, etc. - they must drive her nuts Apparently, you just fuse your fabric on this lightweight interfacing and cut....done. She uses it all of the time. Worth a look.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Sunnie, you are going to love triangulations and if you need to have a different size at 2 in the morning, voila, no running to store to buy, just find the right size you need and print them off. I have loved making HST's ever since I got Triangulations and that as several years ago.