Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there any way to keep track of your stash? >

Is there any way to keep track of your stash?

Is there any way to keep track of your stash?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:08 PM

So I just reorganized my sewing stuff (store it all in our front hall closet in bins/boxes) and I, of course can't resist buying fabric ... but have any of you found a semi-easy (and of course cheap) way to keep track of your fabric or is it more of a look and see type of system? (I'd have to pull out the clear bins to see and that's a PITA). Thanks! ~ Beverly
Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM

Can't keep track of mine either, always finding things I forgot I had
Old 01-30-2011, 04:17 PM

My cotton is sorted as follows: Christmas, Patriotic, Childrens, Novelty, Solids, Floral, Panels. I keep all my flannel together and have very little of anything else.

That system works for me because that's mostly what I buy.

I have taken a picture of most all my fabric and have it on the computer in a few different folders...that way, I can scan thru my folder on the computer without having to fumble thru my totes of fabric.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM

I took three days to fold and sort fab. Back into the clear plastic bins it all went and looked so nice and restacked in my bedroom. Labeled each contaianer so knew what colors were in each. Most had two colors/type per container.

Stayed nice until I was looking for specific fab. Now most bins are all messed up again and no order.

Now just using fab from the first row of four bins that are the easiet to get to.

Moral: I'm a quilter not an organizer!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM

I don't keep track of any of it!

I used to have the bins and the boxes and it drove me nuts too - it took too much time to find what I wanted.

I moved 3 years ago and had to come up with something different. My fabric is stored in a closet. When I slide a door over, I can see half the closet. Below the clothes bar, are storage cubes containing fabric sorted by color. There are 2 shelves above the clothes bar. On the bottom shelf are specialty groups - Christmas, solids, 30's, etc. On the top shelf, there are labeled boxes for UFO's and other crafts - knitting, cross stitch, etc.

My quilt books and magazines are on open shelves in the living room.

I'm very hands on. When looking for a yellow, for example, I'll pull out the pile of yellows and search until I find something that will work.

This is the best system I've ever had.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:12 PM

The easiest way for me to keep track is to store my fabrics in containers by season with separate containers for holidays as well. Obviously there are fabrics that can be used throughout the year but they're much easier to find when not mixed in with the others.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Barb, This sounds like a great idea. I am going to work on that. I have cabinets but mess everything up just looking for a kind of fabric I need and forget what is there. thank you Suzanne
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by KarenK
I don't keep track of any of it!

I used to have the bins and the boxes and it drove me nuts too - it took too much time to find what I wanted.

I moved 3 years ago and had to come up with something different. My fabric is stored in a closet. When I slide a door over, I can see half the closet. Below the clothes bar, are storage cubes containing fabric sorted by color. There are 2 shelves above the clothes bar. On the bottom shelf are specialty groups - Christmas, solids, 30's, etc. On the top shelf, there are labeled boxes for UFO's and other crafts - knitting, cross stitch, etc.

My quilt books and magazines are on open shelves in the living room.

I'm very hands on. When looking for a yellow, for example, I'll pull out the pile of yellows and search until I find something that will work.

This is the best system I've ever had.
I have a very similar "system" in a closet. Everything is within reach and it's easy for me to find what I want. It has gotten a little messy lately so I need to straighten it up. On the top shelf I keep all my upcoming projects gathered together along with the pattern. I usually plan on about 4-5 quilts per season and if anything else comes up (i.e. a birthday gift for someone) I add that to the shelf.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM

i can hardly keep it put up no way i could keep track lol
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Mine is on shelves taking over my guest bedroom closet. I have them sorted by color and a separate area for baby and novelty prints. I can see at a glance what I have--then only pull out the things I think will work. Not scientific--but functional!