Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Keep Track of Your Fabric??

OK, So I was doing a little lunchtime shopping, when I decided I have to find a way to keep track of what I already have :? :? I cannot remember if I have a few of the fabrics I was thinking of getting, so I didn't :( :( There has to be a good way to stay organized with a listing of what I already have..I know one of you out there has the perfect solution for me. I know I have to write it down, but a list? Index cards?? PLEASE..tell me what it is :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have too much fabric to do that! But I do store it mostly on open shelves, sorted by color. Example: the blues are separated by dark blues, greenish blues and light blues. I also have the Novelties/ Kids prints separate, and my holiday fabrics are in a bin of their own. I keep separate bins and boxes for planned projects so I don't forget and use them in something else. I also have UFO boxes.

If you want to shop for a particular fabric to go in one quilt, clip a small square from the ones you have and tape them to a paper or index card, tuck it in with your pattern inspiration and shop with those. You can match colors that way.

I have wayyyyyy too much fabric to track.LOL I have 7 of the pattern cabinets that the fabric stores have-all full of fabric, about 2 dozen of the large plastic totes, all full. I have them sorted by background color, like white backgrounds are all together. Hope you get some good ideas. Then 6 of the cabinets are back to back, I have a 2 piece counter top on top, this is my cutting table.

Banned
    Guess I didn't get the memo about not getting fabrics you might already have. :shock: The concept of "too much fabric" is beyond my comprehension, but I stopped trying to remember what was stashed a wicked long time ago. :wink: Good luck with your organization project!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I'm with the others. If I want to make something with a particular fabric I probably don't have enough of it anyway so I may as well buy more and if it is something I really really like I will probably use more anyway. So, no, I don't stay organized with a list and I have a tendency to be ubber organized in other areas.

There is no way to keep track of all the fabric I have either. I have many times bought another piece of the same fabrics. I figure if I like it enough to have bought 2 pieces, than I must like it!!! If I am trying to match for a project, I will bring a couple of small scraps with me to the store to match. Though, I don't always remember and have brought home lots of fabs that don't quite go with whatever it was I was trying to coordinate with.

I usually buy for a particular project, etc. To keep track of what I might need to add to my projects, etc I keep a written list in my purse at all times. When and if I find what I am looking for on sale, etc....I pull out the list. Otherwise if I am trying to match something up w/color, etc I keep some corner snips on a safety pin. So my swatches are always w/me. Skeat

OK Good!! I thought maybe I was out there by buying fabric more than once, but I see I am much more normal than I thought :lol: :lol: :lol: Besides, if I see it on sale and still like it..well, it can be used for more than one project!!! I've always had a thing for fabric, but just started quilting this year, so I thought maybe I was missing something. I do really like the idea of putting all the pieces parts for a project together in one tub so they don't get used by mistake. I really really like the pattern drawers back to back for a cutting table, but I think they're pretty hard to find :(

Thanks for bringing me back to the real world :wink:

Mary

what about taking a picture w/ digital camera. Cameras are quite small anymore & will fit into most purses &/or shopping bags. All you would have to do, is bring up the picture.
    Just a suggestion.
    Billie G

Blog Entries
    I have each of my projects in a small clear plastic tote with the pattern on top, and the thread I bought for the fabric in the tote.

When I finish a project, I put all the scraps into my "scrap" bag, which is really just a recycle grocery bag. I want to buy a tote for my scraps, just money too tight right now.

I have childrens' fabrics all together in one section of my sewing room.

I only buy when I am getting ready to start a project (though I buy more than one project at a time) and don't buy in-between. This keeps my stash smaller.

My project totes are stored on head-high shelves in my sewing room. They are just the size of shoe boxes and the next size up.

I have mechanics bins on the wall that have see-through covers on each section, I use these to store my used thread when I finish a quilt. I check it before I buy more.

My stencils are on a pegboard on the wall, along with my rulers. I keep my rotary cutter on top of my cutting board on my little card table in the room.

I have a big quilting frame in the middle of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I have wayyyyyy too much fabric to track.LOL I have 7 of the pattern cabinets that the fabric stores have-all full of fabric, about 2 dozen of the large plastic totes, all full. I have them sorted by background color, like white backgrounds are all together. Hope you get some good ideas. Then 6 of the cabinets are back to back, I have a 2 piece counter top on top, this is my cutting table.
    I would LOVE to see your quilt room!!!

I think I am with the majority on this one. I have bought fabric and gotten home and found I already had it in my stash on more than one occassion. But, it is always a fabric that I really like--so I am happy to have more. Makes it easier to cut into it when I know there is more there, too :lol:

I bought a little plastic photo album at the dollar store and bought some file cards the same size as the openings.

Now when I am collecting fabrics for a project I cut small samples and use doublesided scotch tape to attach them to the file card.

Once the project is completed or the fabric is all used up I can take the samples off the cards and start over!

I also add paint chips of the colours in my house, upholstery samples and curtain samples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Well, Me, I was given a lot of fabric, for free :lol: even though 90% is scraps, bigish "scraps, it isn't organized very well. It is in 2 clear tubs, green tubs, just big plastic tubs. And shasta boxes. I also have two older trunks full of scraps. (I got a bunch of scraps for 3$)
    I got my hands full :wink: And still looking for fabric.. It isn't a hobby,.... It's your life :D

Blog Entries
    Mamagus...that is just waaayyyy too organized for me! Actually, I envy you for doing that. My DH would love it if I did that. I'm much more willy nilly....just shop..if I like it..I buy it. When I am planning a project, I check my stash first...select something I like to start with then add fabrics to it. My stash isn't huge..so buying more doesn't hurt anything. (well, except my pocketbook :wink: )

Marcia-one of these days I'll have my gd take some pics of my sewing room and post them.

Purplemem - I want to be like you - I have projects and patterns together, but I keep buying since there is something always something new and more pretty...? Not very disciplined I am afraid. I think I should get up now and remove one of those projects I bought a year ago, Yup thats what I am going to do now, any minute now, here I go now, .............

Blog Entries
    Cindy,
    What a wonderful compliment! Thank you very much, you made my day.

It does feel better to have each project organized in this way. When I f** one project (can't use the f word) I just look at my boxes and pick another. I DO usually have 3 projects going, one cutting, one piecing, and one quilting.

When I find a pattern I really like in the quilting mag I mark it so I know what I need to buy. But buying is what takes discipline for me. I'm looking at patterns now to use up my leftovers.

I just saw a table runner on allpeoplequilt.com that uses 3 12" star squares and places them on point. I was thinking that I could substitute fabrics and squares and make a set for my sil or mom for Christmas...
    but - FIRST - I have to finish at least ONE of my current projects.

it's pretty fun to loose track. Then when you go searching your stash, it's like Christmas! I am trying to use up lots of scraps this year (and next), but every time I go to the shelves, it's fun to see new color combos with a "forgotten" fabric! That's what inspiration is made from!

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    And everyone thinks I have "too much" fabric :wink: :wink:

OMG, i don't even fit into any of yall's category. i am the most un-organized person in the world i guess. i can't ever find anything and everything is just helter skelter. i'm almost 72 and i just figure it's too late to start now, i have a sister that is so organized it makes me sick, lol. i'm green with envy :hunf:

I don't know if it is possible to be totally organized so as not to purchase the same fabric more than once.
    I do have a large shelving unit downstairs that I TRY to keep my fabrics somewhat organized by color on.
    Another thing that I found helpful when I went on a shop-hop was I had my background fabric already for a project I wanted to make, then I clipped the
    salvage edge that gives you the colors that coordinate with that fabric and I carried that with me. I found this much more helpful and accurate than pictures on my digital camera because they weren't always true to color where the salvage swatch was.
    I hope this makes sense and helps a bit.
    Muriel

dojo36, I know the feeling. I've got so much stuff accumulated that I don't know where to even start. And when someone says to get rid of some of it, I say, "NO WAY !" So the bins are all over (but I don't have as many as some of you (well, not in the sewing room anyway -- there are some in my bedroom also). I've reached the point when a sew-er dies, they give me her stuff. [i]really Once in a while, I take some over to charitable garage sales, etc. They had a hay-day the last time I arrived with 3 boxes of fabric. I don't give away 100% cottons. No way.