Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keep Track of Your Fabric?? >

Keep Track of Your Fabric??

Keep Track of Your Fabric??

Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I have wayyyyyy too much fabric to track.LOL I have 7 of the pattern cabinets that the fabric stores have-all full of fabric, about 2 dozen of the large plastic totes, all full. I have them sorted by background color, like white backgrounds are all together. Hope you get some good ideas. Then 6 of the cabinets are back to back, I have a 2 piece counter top on top, this is my cutting table.
I would LOVE to see your quilt room!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

I think I am with the majority on this one. I have bought fabric and gotten home and found I already had it in my stash on more than one occassion. But, it is always a fabric that I really like--so I am happy to have more. Makes it easier to cut into it when I know there is more there, too :lol:
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 AM

I bought a little plastic photo album at the dollar store and bought some file cards the same size as the openings.

Now when I am collecting fabrics for a project I cut small samples and use doublesided scotch tape to attach them to the file card.

Once the project is completed or the fabric is all used up I can take the samples off the cards and start over!

I also add paint chips of the colours in my house, upholstery samples and curtain samples.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-37241.jpe  
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 AM
Banned

Well, Me, I was given a lot of fabric, for free :lol: even though 90% is scraps, bigish "scraps, it isn't organized very well. It is in 2 clear tubs, green tubs, just big plastic tubs. And shasta boxes. I also have two older trunks full of scraps. (I got a bunch of scraps for 3$)
I got my hands full :wink: And still looking for fabric.. It isn't a hobby,.... It's your life :D
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Mamagus...that is just waaayyyy too organized for me! Actually, I envy you for doing that. My DH would love it if I did that. I'm much more willy nilly....just shop..if I like it..I buy it. When I am planning a project, I check my stash first...select something I like to start with then add fabrics to it. My stash isn't huge..so buying more doesn't hurt anything. (well, except my pocketbook :wink: )
Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 AM

Marcia-one of these days I'll have my gd take some pics of my sewing room and post them.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM

Purplemem - I want to be like you - I have projects and patterns together, but I keep buying since there is something always something new and more pretty...? Not very disciplined I am afraid. I think I should get up now and remove one of those projects I bought a year ago, Yup thats what I am going to do now, any minute now, here I go now, .............
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Cindy,
What a wonderful compliment! Thank you very much, you made my day.

It does feel better to have each project organized in this way. When I f** one project (can't use the f word) I just look at my boxes and pick another. I DO usually have 3 projects going, one cutting, one piecing, and one quilting.

When I find a pattern I really like in the quilting mag I mark it so I know what I need to buy. But buying is what takes discipline for me. I'm looking at patterns now to use up my leftovers.

I just saw a table runner on allpeoplequilt.com that uses 3 12" star squares and places them on point. I was thinking that I could substitute fabrics and squares and make a set for my sil or mom for Christmas...
but - FIRST - I have to finish at least ONE of my current projects.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM

it's pretty fun to loose track. Then when you go searching your stash, it's like Christmas! I am trying to use up lots of scraps this year (and next), but every time I go to the shelves, it's fun to see new color combos with a "forgotten" fabric! That's what inspiration is made from!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I have wayyyyyy too much fabric to track.LOL I have 7 of the pattern cabinets that the fabric stores have-all full of fabric, about 2 dozen of the large plastic totes, all full. I have them sorted by background color, like white backgrounds are all together. Hope you get some good ideas. Then 6 of the cabinets are back to back, I have a 2 piece counter top on top, this is my cutting table.
And everyone thinks I have "too much" fabric :wink: :wink: