Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There Help For Me? >

Is There Help For Me?

Is There Help For Me?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 AM

Early on, I found myself in the same boat. If I am comfortable with how the rows look on my design wall, I make a row of blocks, and then sew that row together. Then I make a subsequent row. That way when the blocks are complete, my quilt is almost complete. I hated thinking about the UFO's I had, so last year, I finished all of them before we moved. I only have one left to do, and it has taken a back seat to one I need to make for my son's wedding.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Why not try patterns like double wedding ring or one of the stars, where little if anything is outside of a block? Then there's no boring sashing to do, and you don't really see the pattern until everything goes together.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 AM

This describes me perfectly. I am so happy I'm not the only one who does this. Last year I set a goal to finish 12 quilts during the year, one a month. I finished 14 quilts. 8 of these were UFO quilts. It was a great feeling to get them finished and given away. This year my goal is to finish 14 more quilts. That will finish my UFO pile. Most of these are from Block of the Month projects. I love doing the monthly blocks, but hate finishing. Organizing them into bags helped. Now I can just pick one and get to work. I have finished 2 this year and am ready to quilt a lap quilt today. It's kind of fun to work on them this way. Thanks for all the good tips, and thanks for starting this thread.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 AM

I have found I have this problem. I bought some project boxes thinking I did not have enough to fill them all. Well, I was shocked to have so many projects in various stages of completion. I have not found a cure yet. I tell myself I will not start anything new until I finish some. This just gets me in a funk and I don't do anything but look at magazines and dream of the next project.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 AM

Make your self a promise for 1/2 hour a day you will sew blocks together. Breaking it up into smaller units of time.. can help. I am much like you and putting together blocks is not my favorite quilting task. I do find if I just do small units of time mixed with other parts I like , is like creating a reward system... a few hours of my favorite things .. and always some of the stuff that's not a favorite. I have even taken to rewarding myself with fabric... if I get this top completed I get to purchase a few yards of whatever fabric I want , without regard for price.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
IQ2

If I find a block or pattern that I'm really excited about but don't want to make a whole quilt, I make a mini version and turn it into a tote bag or table topper or "sack sock", etc. You don't have to make quilts to enjoy quilting. Start small and see what happens. I just made a tote using one large block that I wanted to try, and I'm really happy with it and I got that block "out of my system".
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM

I have several $5 quilt block sets which will probably never become a quilt. The blocks all measure 12" finished. So I am making table runners and placemats. Placemats are 2 blocks each (12x24) and the table runner is 4 blocks (12x48) plus a simple border. That way, I will use all 12 blocks and will have a matching set.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM

My quilt guild recently had Marguerita McManus present for our program. She does a QAYG method thatis very easy to do. She showed some of her quilts where she bought the blocks on ebay, or such, reset them and then did QAYG with her method. We all laughed with her. The quilts were very nice looking.

She has YouTube videos that explain it all. Just type in "Marguerita Mcmanus youtube" and you will get there. There are 8 consecutive videos in the main one you look at.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 AM

I stall at the pinning it together stage -- then when I get that done it takes me forever to figure out how to quilt it. That is the part I'm the newest at. But I do like to sew the binding on! Right n ow I have to finish quilting the border on one quilt; have another quilt pinned and ready to quilt. Third quilt has the back pieced and is ready to pin, the quilt. Fourth quilt needs to have the back pieced, then pinned and quilted.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I have to tell myself that I am making it for someone else. If it is just for me, I seem to lose interest a lot, unless it is a fairly small project. I got motivated by telling myself that the last one was for my favorite news correspondent. Now...I am actually going to send it to him.