Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is There Help For Me? >

Is There Help For Me?

Is There Help For Me?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM

I personally don't think there is a solution to "our" problem. I have two full boxes of quilt tops finished, but the batting and backing are still on the shelves waiting for me to assemble them and the quilting done. I, too, love the process of cutting and piecing the blocks together. It may take me a while to get the tops assembled, but I will eventually get there. I DO NOT enjoy the quilting process, however, and finding a long-arm quilter has been a chore for me. So, in the meantime, the tops just remain folded in their boxes with their cousins, brothers, and sisters, hoping that one day they will become "real" quilts. Sigh!!! [If you find a magic spell which will assist us, please send it my way.]
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 AM

One thing that gets me going to finish quilts is a bundle of finished squares I found in several boxes of left over quilt stuff from a quilter who had died. Our club had had this stuff at meeting for several months (I was out of the country at that time, so I didn't get to see them then), and no one wanted anything more so all the boxes were headed for the dumpster. I grabbed them and found lots of usable fabric, some heavy stuff to make walker bags, some stuff to send to the missions, and this bundle of squares. I put the squares together; they made the cutest wall hanging.

Another thing or two: If you are putting quilting into plastic bags, do not close them completely. They need a little air.
And be sure to add the pattern and fabric needed to finish it.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:52 AM

Boy, I didn't know there were so many of us. I have at least 12 tops waiting for batting and backing and another 12-20 cases containing quilts "almost" ready to sew together. I don't have the accurate number (I'm afraid to total them). The sad thing is I have batting and backing for a lot of them. I will continue to follow this post, and maybe will find the inspiration to finish some of these UFO's. I thought they were beautiful before I started them and I still think they are beautiful. It would be a shame to wait until I don't like them anymore. lol
Sue
Old 02-21-2014, 07:38 AM

I have a similar problem, after putting the top together, adding the back, quilting, binding and label are boring. Quilts of Valor are my solution. I give the completed top, prepared binding and backing to the long arm quilter that finishes these for QOV. We all win, I get to piece and they get a quilt to finish and donate.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia View Post
Keep one project out on your sewing table. Sew two blocks together, every day. Then go do the stuff that's fun to you. Pretty soon you will have a row of blocks. Then sew two rows together, every day. It's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
This is exactly what I'm currently doing. I'm just taking baby steps until all blocks are sewn together. Right now I'm on row 3 of my postage stamp quilt.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 AM

When I read your post I thought, GEE when did I post this...
It really sounds just like me.
QUOTE=susie-susie-susie;6587722]Boy, I didn't know there were so many of us. I have at least 12 tops waiting for batting and backing and another 12-20 cases containing quilts "almost" ready to sew together. I don't have the accurate number (I'm afraid to total them). The sad thing is I have batting and backing for a lot of them. I will continue to follow this post, and maybe will find the inspiration to finish some of these UFO's. I thought they were beautiful before I started them and I still think they are beautiful. It would be a shame to wait until I don't like them anymore. lol
Sue[/QUOTE]
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM

I'm in the same boat (Ii believe it's bigger than we realized)! I love the whole process until it comes to sandwiching and quilting. I know it's because my FMQ skills are poor, but I'm trying to improve. Right now I'm in the process of unquilting a throw I've been making for my MIL. I was more than half-way finished with the quilting when I decided it wasn't up to my standard, partly because the top was developing puckers. So I'm starting all over with the quilting. I had already shown it to her at Christmas and the whole family knows about it so I HAVE to get it done ASAP. Meanwhile, I've started a Valentine's Day wall hanging and am anxious to start a scrappy to keep.

That being said, I am in possession of three quilt tops my MIL gave me that were made in probably the thirties or forties, which she was given a long time ago. I don't know who made them or the stories, but they are mine now. One is a waste, though, because it's gotten mildew on it which won't wash out. The other two are in great shape and I feel obligated to finish them. I'm thinking I'll just practice FMQ on them.

Just yesterday I bought a new quilting book that I think has some really great info. It's called Machine Quilting: Basics and Beyond by Lynn Witzenburg. She does start with basics and has some good practice ideas and really good advice. Sometimes I'm inspired to get moving on something after reading or watching a video about the process while visualizing my project finished.

Be patient with yourself and relax. As others have suggested, take baby steps for short periods. And let us know how it goes!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

try to get one UFO done every three months at least. I have some years old! I'm trying now, but every once in awhile I just must make something else "new" that grabs my mind.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Ebay them...you have had your fun and someone out there will grab them up.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM

I have found that putting the blocks together to make a top is my least favorite part of the quilt making process. sandwiching is the second least favorite. I have three quilt tops that are partly put together and eight tops waiting to be sandwiched. I'm so glad I found out I am not alone.