Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such a foot?

Is there such a foot?

I started FMQ yesterday and I'm starting to get the hang of it, I think.

The main thing that's getting to me is the "hopping" of the darning foot.

Is there such a foot that is open toe and doesn't hop for my machine? I have a brother pc 420.

Thanks for your help.
    http://www.OutlawTheWicks.com

Yes you do want an open toe, I think I use my embroidery foot....Go to the Brother website, loads of information....

Leah Day has videos that show you how to break the spring on your existing foot to keep it from hopping so much.

You want a teeny bit of lift, but some feet really bounce- I don't like that.

Blog Entries
    Some machines have a darning foot that doesn't hop. Instead, it "floats" higher above the fabric. I would Google feet for your model and see what is available.

I use the Big Foot-it's blue and has a round foot that doesn't quite touch the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Leah Day has videos that show you how to break the spring on your existing foot to keep it from hopping so much.

You want a teeny bit of lift, but some feet really bounce- I don't like that.
    Yes! I did this. I also have a pc420, and the foot it came with hops like crazy. I bought a cheapie generic and modified it like Leah day shows and it works so much better for me.

I watched Leah Day's video on the modification and no matter how little or how much I wrap the rubber band around, the foot does not float at all. I've adjusted the pressure foot, dropped and raised the feed dogs and still doesn't float! I'm so discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    Yes! I did this. I also have a pc420, and the foot it came with hops like crazy. I bought a cheapie generic and modified it like Leah day shows and it works so much better for me.

I also modified my foot using Leah Day's method and it works much better. Sharon TX do you think the rubber band is too tight?
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Just had a thought and tried it. I removed the rubber band and tried it without and guess what, still drags the fabric. I think the metal bar the spring is wrapped around is too long and that's why the modification isn't working.

Blog Entries
    You may need to purchase a generic foot in order to make the modification. Seems that some feet that come with some machines are too tall to work well with FMQ. Your Brother most likely takes short shank feet.

These threads might help with more info:
    Free motion quilting feet that work great for Brother PQ1500
    Free motion quilting feet that work great for Brother PQ1500

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast