Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a foot?

Is there such a foot?

I started FMQ yesterday and I'm starting to get the hang of it, I think.

The main thing that's getting to me is the "hopping" of the darning foot.

Is there such a foot that is open toe and doesn't hop for my machine? I have a brother pc 420.

Thanks for your help.
    http://www.OutlawTheWicks.com

Yes you do want an open toe, I think I use my embroidery foot....Go to the Brother website, loads of information....

Leah Day has videos that show you how to break the spring on your existing foot to keep it from hopping so much.

You want a teeny bit of lift, but some feet really bounce- I don't like that.

Blog Entries
    Some machines have a darning foot that doesn't hop. Instead, it "floats" higher above the fabric. I would Google feet for your model and see what is available.

I use the Big Foot-it's blue and has a round foot that doesn't quite touch the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Leah Day has videos that show you how to break the spring on your existing foot to keep it from hopping so much.

You want a teeny bit of lift, but some feet really bounce- I don't like that.
    Yes! I did this. I also have a pc420, and the foot it came with hops like crazy. I bought a cheapie generic and modified it like Leah day shows and it works so much better for me.

I watched Leah Day's video on the modification and no matter how little or how much I wrap the rubber band around, the foot does not float at all. I've adjusted the pressure foot, dropped and raised the feed dogs and still doesn't float! I'm so discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by misskira View Post
    Yes! I did this. I also have a pc420, and the foot it came with hops like crazy. I bought a cheapie generic and modified it like Leah day shows and it works so much better for me.

I also modified my foot using Leah Day's method and it works much better. Sharon TX do you think the rubber band is too tight?
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Just had a thought and tried it. I removed the rubber band and tried it without and guess what, still drags the fabric. I think the metal bar the spring is wrapped around is too long and that's why the modification isn't working.

Blog Entries
    You may need to purchase a generic foot in order to make the modification. Seems that some feet that come with some machines are too tall to work well with FMQ. Your Brother most likely takes short shank feet.

These threads might help with more info:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...0-t153565.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...0-t153565.html

Thank you all for the suggestions. Does anyone know of stores locally that sells a generic darning foot. As in hancock's, hobby lobby or do I need to go to a dealer?

My machine is a low shank

I just use my darning/FMQ foot, don't pay attention to if or how much it hops. I watched Leah Day and wasn't very impressed. I guess it's what you get use to. The foot is metal, I have done so many quilts with it I just don't notice any down sides. I love FMQ.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonTX View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Does anyone know of stores locally that sells a generic darning foot. As in hancock's, hobby lobby or do I need to go to a dealer?

My machine is a low shank
    Not sure if places like JoAnn's and Hancock's have them on hand. I would think that a JoAnn's that sells sewing machines would carry them. Otherwise they are widely available online. Here are two examples from Amazon. One is plastic, and one is metal. Typically the metal ones are preferred because they are stronger and last longer.

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Fr...k+darning+foot (plastic)

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Da...k+darning+foot (metal)

Thanks everyone.

I just purchased a metal open toe darning foot from ebay. It's whats recommended for my machine and other brands, so hopefully this new one will be better. No more practice unless I can find a generic one here in my town, before I receive the metal one.

My Husqvarna Saphire 875 Quilt is a short shant machine and comes with a "floating" foot (an "R" foot). I've found I much prefer it to the darning foot (a hopping foot). Perhaps your machine has an adapter to take accessories from other short shank manufacturers.

Blog Entries
    Sharon,

When I was first learning to FMQ, I stumbled onto some information that really helped me...

With my quilt sandwich under the foot of my machine,
    I put the presser foot down and make sure the needle is in its highest position.
    then I place a small straight pin on top of the quilt sandwich underneath the presser foot.
    Next I adjust the pressure on the presser foot so that I can easily slide the pin around, but not have a big gap.

When the pressure is right, the quilt will side easily when the needle is up and will hold between the foot and the throat plate when the needle is down as the stitch completes. Having this adjusted right will help smooth out the motion of the quilt as you move it around and will prevent bending/breaking needles.

If you are not able to adjust your foot to allow the quilt to move freely when the needle is up and the foot is down, it might not be quite the right fit on your machine.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I have purchased generic feet at Hancock fabrics here in Indiana.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the blue Bigfoot.
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...t+low+shank.do
    I also ordered a few of the Distinctive feet, and to me the darning foot works just as good as the Bigfoot.

I do not know what Brother offers.
    Though usually, what one brand has, another offers too, so look around.

Janome has the traditional Darning Foot for FMQ. PLUS a special FMQ foot with three interchangeable feet!

The joy of this special foot is that there is NO hopping ..... PLUS you can adjust the distance between the foot and the quilt sandwich, so that the sandwich just slides nicely between the foot and the machine bed. As Goldilocks would say ... not too loose and not too tight!

I detested FMQing and once I tried this foot, I knew I would soon come to enjoy the process.
    And now am working on developing then mastering, my FMQing abilities!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of the feet for my machine for FMQ. I think I accidently packed up the stores foot with mine at a class. It was almost 2 years before I noticed. Mine had a loop on the foot so I cut the front out the way Leah Day shows on her site. I tried her method of fixing the foot so it didn't hop. It didn't work on my machine, I have a JAnome 9700. My machine just wouldn't sew.

I have disabled the hopping on my Brother foot. I learned from Leah Day at LeahDay.com. I was sort of meandering before... after disabling the hopping, I was able to write my name, right down to the dot over the 'i' in about 5 minutes. Needless to say, I am happy. Plus, Leah has a whole series on how to learn how to machine quilt. All these patterns... and how to do it. Thanks, Leah.
    Anita in Northfield, MN

azwendyg,
    That information makes sense. I've seen a lot of tips, but none have addressed the amount of pressure on the presser foot. Good tip! I've seen a lot of complaints about broken needles and usually tension is addressed, but not pressure on the presser foot. Thanks, good to know.

I'm sure there is one out there somewhere, these folks will know!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have an older machine, and bought the darning foot that was available for it. I bought 2 because I had to order them, I can't remember the exact amount, but $15 a piece sounds right. Good thing, after about 6 mos, the metal part, that enables it to 'hop' broke off. I thought, oh no, what if this happens with the second one? So, I just used an open toe foot, no hopping, to see how that would work. I do have a darning spot on the dial that controls the foot tension so used that too.

I noticed absolutely NO difference, and doubt I will even use the second darning foot (I have a button that drops the feed dogs)
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonTX View Post
    I watched Leah Day's video on the modification and no matter how little or how much I wrap the rubber band around, the foot does not float at all. I've adjusted the pressure foot, dropped and raised the feed dogs and still doesn't float! I'm so discouraged.
    It sounds like you need to release the pressure on the presser foot. If you are lucky enough to have a vintage machine, you do this by turning counterclockwise the screw on the top of the arm that is over the presser foot. Some machines have a spring type button that allows you to release pressure by pushing all the way down on it, release, and then it will spring all the way up.
    Stephanie in Mena

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast