Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a trick to cutting twister quilts? >

Is there a trick to cutting twister quilts?

Is there a trick to cutting twister quilts?

Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I made a couple sampler blocks and no problem. I watched Jenny Doan's video and I also have a rotary cutting mat. That mat has been a great tool I keep near me and use often.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:02 AM

I have made a couple of table toppers with the five inch squares and the medium size twister template. I used a 45 rotary cutter because the smaller one doesn't work with the template. I was just very careful and didn't have problems cutting into the seam line. I plan on trying to big one with 10 inch squares and see if it is easier. I like the end result, but I agree, they are a pain to cut out.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:17 AM

My friend and I both thought this was going to be the easiest quilt ever to make. We had the same pattern (the Christmas tree) just used different fabrics - used the go to cut out the pieces, then we started the cutting process - we both thought we missed something in the instructions, we tried smaller rotary cutter, scissors, it seemed to be a pain. We were not at home, we were in a condo in Vegas, and like the others it was awkward, so I pulled the cupboard I was using as a table out from the wall,( it was no more than 20 inches deep) so I could walk around it and life became much easier.

Since I have 3 different sizes I do plan to make another one - but there are a lot of other quilts I will probably do before I do another one.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I thought the twister template tells you how big the squares need to be to start. Then there is leeway for over-cutting. Every one I have seen cuts just past the ruler. You can then use what's left over to use with a smaller twister ruler to eliminate scrap.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM

I use a smaller rotary cutter as I had the same problem and I did have a couple that went a little far and I sewed them. I did use fray check to help hold them together. I was able to walk around the area and that helped a lot.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 PM

I've made a few Twisters and enjoyed it. I like to starch my top (or use a starch alternative, such as Mary Ellen's Best Press or Flatter) before cutting, this helps keep the bias edges from stretching too much. As for cutting, I use a 45mm rotary cutter and when I get to about 1/2" from the corner, I rock it a little. If necessary, I take a pair of snips to cut those last threads. I don't think fray check will help keep your quilt together over the long term, sorry.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I have done a couple of mini twisters that finished at 1.5" and the smaller rotary cutter is the perfect tool for cutting these quilts or as others suggest, mark and hand cut. Take your time for hand cutting accuracy, it will be fine.
peace
Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Hmmm, interesting how many seem to have issues with this template/pattern.

I have one of the twister templates, and two books (it was a promo at an LQS), but I have never attempted one. I will need to remember this thread if I ever get around to making one of these.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
You can then use what's left over to use with a smaller twister ruler to eliminate scrap.
My left overs were 3 inch squares which I used as the border interspersed with background fabric. Looked really nice.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:50 AM

I didn't enjoy making a twister quilt. I used the smaller template. What I didn't like was that setting it aside and then coming back to work on it was a problem since each one interconnects with the neighbor. Guess I'm just a "block" person!