Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble for hand quilting >

Thimble for hand quilting

Thimble for hand quilting

Old 03-26-2016, 01:32 PM

My favorite thimble is a Tommy Lane Thimble, available at quilt shows. They are sized to fit only you and have an opening for your fingernail. Mine is silver and has my birthstone mounted in the front. I have had it on a chain to wear around my neck for YEARS. She was on Alex Anderson's show years ago.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM

I use the leather Nimble Thimble that has a metal "dot" . I also use those little leather circles that stick on your finger. Several of my quilting friends use TJ Lane thimbles....expensive. But, they are also award winning qulters many time over at AQS shows. They've been quilting for many years.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 PM

I love my Thimblelady thimbles...the plastic ones are not expensive...the silver ones are... But my plastic thimbles work just as well as the expensive ones!!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnthyme View Post
AZ Jane, I use the same thing. I have problems on my underhand. My fingers get so sore, I have to try lots of things before I am finished. I have used a leather thimble on my middle underhand, but then I find myself using another finger, so I can feel the needle. Anyone have suggestions for this?
Use one finger to "feel" the needle and load it with stitches, and a different finger (the one wearing the thimble) to push the needle through. Would that work?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:37 AM

You could be like those of us who can't use a thimble. Your fingers are sore the first week, but after that--there is no feeling left in your fingers! LOL
Old 03-28-2016, 11:27 AM

I use both the Clover Scallop Thimble which is my favorite. I also use the black leather Thimble which I really like but it has a tendency to fall off my finger as the leather warms up. To keep it from falling off I spray temporary spray adhesive inside and it stays on.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Moz

Oh, good idea with the finger cot. I haven't tried this one yet. I wore a hole in my Roxette after 200 hours of quilting on one quilt, and the Dritz Soft Cusion didn't last 1/3 that long before a hole wore through that one as well. I love the Roxette. I put some super glue inside to fill the hole.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Moz

I thought this one would be a great option to the Roxette I wore a hole into, but it didn't last nearly as long as the Roxette. I have an old plastic beige one that is still hanging in there...wish I could find that one again. I did put some superglue on the inside of the Roxette, and I would buy another one because it was so comfortalbe, and after all it did take 200 quilting hours to wear that hole into it