Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking way ahead about border(s) >

Thinking way ahead about border(s)

Thinking way ahead about border(s)

Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Thinking way ahead about border(s)

Normally I put two borders on my quilts, but I recently made a small quilt that I only put one border on, and I liked it. (First picture)

I liked this small quilt enough that I am now making a larger quilt like it. I am wondering if I should add a small border inside the purple dotted fabric, maybe one of my lighter purple/lavender fabrics? (The second picture shows where I am now.) I have 25 more cats blocks to make yet, so I really am wondering early, but I thought I might gather opinions?

Should I stick to the one border idea I started with or think of a lighter inner border also.

(Picture 3)...My official quilt inspector/helper is asleep on the job and is no help at all!!

Thanks to any of you who can picture quilts on the design wall in your head. Me, I will have to wait until I have made all the blocks and sewn them together to play with borders for real. I will even have to go ahead and cut the borders and lay them there to see what I prefer.

But I am also an impatient person. So...which would you go for? One border or two??

Thanks for any input.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001495.jpg   s8001523.jpg   s8001527.jpg  
Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM

really cute (all 3 pictures) lazy helper that you have there or may be he is on the night shif. ... loll
The small quilt is really nice. as far as borders are concerned, there are so many ways that would be beautiful that I have a hard time deciding how I would do it. Any ways I think would be pretty

One other option would be to do a narrow white border and then the same border that you made on the small quilt and why not add what you mention: "a small border inside the purple dotted fabric, maybe one of my lighter purple/lavender fabrics" I think that would look really nice

I have difficulties deciding what to do before I see it. Yet, it would be too bad having to cut a border and then decide you don't like it.
As I said. this is too cute, and many different options will look great
Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Nothing wrong with thinking ahead. If you have a swatch of the materials to put against opposite corners to resemble a border without cutting an entire border then by the time you get to that point you should have your mind made up.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I like the dark border on the first one. You could do 2 borders on the second as long as it doesn't blend in with the cats. Whatever you decide will be pretty, you could ask your quilt inspector. Tsk, tsk, asleep on the job again.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:00 PM

Good ideas! I like the idea of a small inner white border, I like the idea of trying a swatch of fabric instead of cutting a "trial border," and I hadn't thought about an inner border of a lighter purple blending in with the cats.

Thanks!

Dina
Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM

I love your quilts, and your inspector (what I can see of him). I think I would second helou's idea of a narrow white border, then the dark border of your first quilt, but then I would bind it with the darkest of the purple fabrics used in the quilt. And I would do the narrow white border 1/3 the width of the darker second border.

But that's just me! Whatever you do will look great with this quilt.

Alison
Old 09-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Great ideas, all would look great, love your kitty!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 PM

I love your lavender cat quilt. Your cat looks just like my 16# PeeWee, who relaxes in the same position! As to your border: What about a thin strip of your lavender border, followed by (going outward from the quilt) a narrow white strip, and thirdly a wider lavender strip?

Last edited by joyce blint; 09-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
I love your lavender cat quilt. Your cat looks just like my 16# PeeWee, who relaxes in the same position! As to your border: What about a thin strip of your lavender border, followed by (going outward from the quilt) a narrow white strip, and thirdly a wider lavender strip?
Give PeeWee a pet from me. My cat, Hot Rod, also weighs 16 pounds. He is the biggest cat I have ever had. I can almost visualize your border suggestion. (I have a lot of trouble visualizing possibilities) but I think your idea would look very good!!

Dina
Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Love the dark border and the fur baby. My mother had one named Tiger who looked like yours.