Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of you with foam board >

For those of you with foam board

For those of you with foam board

Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Default For those of you with foam board

Used as your design wall, how do you attach the 4x8 sheet(s) to the wall? I'm getting ready to fix my foam board up but can't figure out how to attaché it to the wall.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I didn't attach mine. Actually I cut 2' off the top, so I have one board that is 2x4 and another that is 4x6. I let it lean against the wall, and if I need to I can move it to another spot. This works best for me.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 PM

do NOT use carpet tape! I did that and it was a nightmare to get it off! I now have magnets that are screwed in the wall then put batting and a magnetic on top. Works great!
Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 PM

I have two 4x8 sheets which stand side by side against one wall (less the 6" I cut off the height of each of them, since I have 8-foot ceilings.) My "sewing room" is a bedroom (with a Murphy bed), so when I have "special company", I can easily carry the boards to the storage room if I want them out of the room. I also have a long drapery rod with clamps on rings high on that wall, and I can hang a quilt for display to brighten the room for company. Works for me--can't imagine life now without a design wall. You'll love having one, too, no matter whether you decide to permanently mount them to the wall or not.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM

I use 2-4X8 sheets, just lean them up against the cupboards. When not in use just stack together in the corner out of the way.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 PM

Do you mean foam insulation sheets from Home Depot? Or do you mean Foam Core like from Office Max or similar store?

I used the foam insulation sheets for my design wall. It is actually 2 sheets, each 4' x 8', duct taped together. I use just the folded outer side usually, but can fold it all out for larger projects. I take pictures of what I want then fold the design wall back up. I did have to trim the height just a bit so it wouldn't hit the ceiling fan in the studio as I folded it up and then out again. I made a vinyl footing [a cover for the bottom of the design wall] so it wouldn't get dusty just being on the floor. I have colorful ribbon attached to eye hooks at the upper level to keep the design wall upright.

One friend didn't have the room for such a big wall so she used brackets to hold her smaller design wall onto her studio wall.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 AM

I use the Command Strips to hold mine in place. When I need to move it just pull on the tab and then put new ones on when I'm ready to use it again.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 AM

i put string on the back of mine with gorilla tape and then hung it up with
command strips.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I didn't attach mine. Actually I cut 2' off the top, so I have one board that is 2x4 and another that is 4x6. I let it lean against the wall, and if I need to I can move it to another spot. This works best for me.
I did the same thing. Then I started Judy Niemeyer's Bali Wedding Star and needed a larger design wall. Back to one of the major home repair stores for 2 more sheets of 1" insulation. This time I cut off less than 1 foot and duct taped the two together. It's leaned against the wall. When I am through with BWS I will probably fold it against the wall. I do love the idea of attaching ribbons & anchoring it by hanging it on the wall. OOPS....forgot I had BWS draped over the top and hanging over the back. A 7 x 8 BWS is a big animal!

Oh well, I'll do that with the slightly smaller board after I get BWS completed...I'm on row 7. Got about 4 bull arcs to complete and the outside arcs. Got sidetracked and started a different project. Now to get back on it!

Edited to add: My girlfriend cut 1 foot off the top of her insulation sheets, duct taped it together and takes it with her for any classes. This gives her a 2' x 4' design wall. She loves the smaller design wall, and it is so portable.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 05-08-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 AM

My son used screws and a drill to attach them to the wall. The hardest part, (other than getting him in the sewing room LOL) was finding the studs so I could have it centered on my wall.