Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread for a long arm >

thread for a long arm

thread for a long arm

Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
You might want to try Glide. From Fil-Tec at Bobbin Central. 5000m for less than $7. And almost no lint!!!
That is what I use!! Love it!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Although most quilters think of Aurifil cotton, Aurifil also shows a poly thread for longarms on their web site. That is probably what Dee was referring to.

I use a lot of MetroEmb thread, because I like the sheen on most quilts. However, if you want a matte finish, Connecting Threads has poly cones meant for longarm sewing. I have used CT cotton, but I really prefer the poly threads in the longarm. I purchased several sets of the CT cotton spools years ago when they were on sale, and I hope I'll eventually use them. For piecing I've turned to mostly BottomLine.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:12 PM

My favorite LA thread is Sew Fine #50 from Superior. Yeah, a bit spendy, but the results are so worth it for me! I only use cones on my Innova, but I do have a special pin for spools of thread. Remember, cones and spools are wound differently to come off the cone/spool - cone needs to be upright and spools need to be horizontal. I have found that you get what you pay for with thread and would rather spend a little more on thread to quilt my quilts with! Heck, with how much $$$ I have invested in every quilt, I'm not going to skimp on thread!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 AM

I've used CT threads for years without any problems. I just clean out my bobbin area between each bobbin.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM

My Avante and I LOVE Glide thread......(it doesn't seem to like So Fine---and I just bought several cones!!!!). Krafty14, where do you find Glide cones for $7? I pay much more from Quilted Joy....none of my lqs carry it. PM if you don't mind.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 PM

My three HQ machines have been able to use this thread, and just about any thread. My favorite is Glide.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 PM

I really like SoFine #50 by Superior--it's not a cotton thread, but really buries nicely and just shows lots of texture. I do like the Glide thread when I want more contrast--I find that I must use a cone net to keep the tension even when I use it. If I'm doing micro quilting I really like Magna Glide pre-wound bobbins--you can get so much quilting done on them!

I've used CT threads on my DSM and find them very linty so don't use on long arm. I do sometimes use YLI or Superior cotton (King Tut) but again more linty. If you are wanting a matte finish and less expensive, you might want to try PermaCore--it's poly but looks more like a cotton, very nice finish and not as expensive. I always buy cones as it's cheaper in the long run.(unless it's a weird, one time only color!)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 AM

I use their threads all the time. I have every color they offer too. I use their cotton and polyesters. The polyesters are definitely stronger than the cottons so rarely ever break during quilting. I use them on my Innova with robotics. I wind my own bobbins using the same threads too. Have never had an issue with any of them. I also use both their larger cones for colors I use a lot as well as their smaller spools. All fit my thread stand.