Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: thread storage/carrier

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    131
    I am starting to purchase threads for hand quilting and am looking for suggestions on who sell a fabric carrier/holder that holds threads, needles etc. I saw one somewhere that kind of rolls up for transport.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Super Member Darlene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    I use a small tin that candy came in to separate my hand quilting thread from the others. This was the easy way to do it for me.

  3. #3
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,397
    Why not make one?
    I have been compiling links to all sorts of sewing and quilting projects online and one of the categories is sewing organizers :) I began to make one last weekend. I was almost finished with it and had to pack up the sewing group for the day to meet up with my family for dinner :( I'll get it finished one of these days...

    Here's a link to the page that has craft room tutorial links. Maybe you can find one you like and make a storage container?
    http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/cra...ing-links.html

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    131
    thanks for the link looks like it has great stuff and I will explore it more. At this time I was just hoping to purchase one before my new threads get spread out everywhere.

    Thanks for the idea

  5. #5
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,397
    I hear you on that :)
    I use a rectangle shaped tin that I picked up at a second hand store. It had a really pretty design on the front that I fell in love with - hedgehogs of all things! - and that's what I keep regular spools of thread in. I will be needing to get a new tin or make a container for my nicer threads now that I am buying decent thread.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Paige, Texas
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    Why not make one?
    I have been compiling links to all sorts of sewing and quilting projects online and one of the categories is sewing organizers :) I began to make one last weekend. I was almost finished with it and had to pack up the sewing group for the day to meet up with my family for dinner :( I'll get it finished one of these days...

    Here's a link to the page that has craft room tutorial links. Maybe you can find one you like and make a storage container?
    http://yarn-or-fabric.weebly.com/cra...ing-links.html
    They sure have the idea for everything at this site

  7. #7
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,397
    Quote Originally Posted by texas granny
    They sure have the idea for everything at this site

    Heh heh heh I aim to please lol. I keep adding more and more categories. When I am feeling like not doing much of anything at all I think up a topic and then go for it :D

  8. #8
    Senior Member MZStitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    York, South Carolina
    Posts
    467
    I use a match box holder! I don't know if they make them anymore, but they use to sell a clear plastic box with compartments for matchbox cars! It's perfect to hold spools of thread!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by MZStitch
    I use a match box holder! I don't know if they make them anymore, but they use to sell a clear plastic box with compartments for matchbox cars! It's perfect to hold spools of thread!
    that's what I use. I think I got it in the craft section at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them anywhere. I think people use them for embroidery thread etc. works great for my needle turn applique threads.

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,964
    Mine is on a rack that hangs on the wall. It's not portable though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.