Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thread for Sweet Sixteen

thread for Sweet Sixteen

I just got a Sweet Sixteen and am wondering what kind of thread I should purchase. I'd like to take advantage of the sales but don't want to stock up on something that won't end up working.
    Thanks so much!

my machine only uses superior thread # 50. but i just have a 1600p on gracie frame
    but the thread sure works nice on it.

HQ machines are not really fussy about thread. I was gifted a whole bunch of serger thread and it works just fine. A nationally know quilter uses it all the time.

I had a HQ16 and it was not fussy about thread. My favorites are Permacore, Omni and King Tut. I would suggest try a cone in a neutral color in each and see what you like best. My to go colors are Mother Goose (in Permacore, tan color) and Spearmint (Omni, nice soft green).
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

My friend has a HQ Avante and she said it is not fussy About what brand of thread she uses.

I have used aurifill 40 and 50 weight, YLI variegated, isacord, king tut, yenmet metallics, guterman, and others I don't remember! As others have said, the S16 is not picky about thread. You do have to get used to adjusting the tension, but you should pick threads you like that go with the designs you use. The S16 can pretty much take them all; it is just a matter of you getting comfortable with the tension (both bobbin and top).

Pam

i have an HQ machine & love the connecting threads machine quilting threads.
    it is a good idea---instead of (stocking up) buying one or two of a particular thread & try it yourself- everyone is different & has their own likes/dislikes- and machines have their own (personalities too) find what works for you- then buy more- connecting threads has free shipping at $50 so i usually buy sewing threads & other things too-to take advantage of that if i only need one or two machine quilting cones.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've heard many good things about Glide thread and it is much cheaper than Superior, but I haven't had a chance to order any yet.

I love auriful for piecing, but it's quite pricey.

SewingLadyDI

Blog Entries
    I used to us King Tut and superior but my friend told me about mentroemb.com. I quilted 3 quilts with my sweet 16 (each lap size) & had n thread breakage or other problems. PLUS this thread is really low cost!
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Puttergeo View Post
    I just got a Sweet Sixteen and am wondering what kind of thread I should purchase. I'd like to take advantage of the sales but don't want to stock up on something that won't end up working.
    Thanks so much!
    I've just got one too! I've been using all the thread they sent and have had no problems setting the tension, which I'm finding amazing. It depends on what you like. I really like the So Fine #50 for feathers and lots of back tracking. I also like their - Superior's - King Tut. They sent some Quilter's Choice which also seems to work well. I also like the Connecting Threads Essential Pro - which is like 60 weight and very fine. I'm leaning towards finer threads that more melt into the back ground right now. Also don't know if you saw it, but they did a webinar back in February called TNT - Thread, Needles, Tension - that was very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast