Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread, what kind and why? >

thread, what kind and why?

thread, what kind and why?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

As time passes by, things do change. I have always used Mettler Silk wrapped thread because that is what I was taught by my Bernina dealership. I would never used a poly thread being taught it would literally over time cut into the 100% cotton fabrics. I want my quilts to be seen on Antique Roadshow in 2075!! I have SEEN examples of this with quilts made in the 60s.

It really comes down to what YOU feel comfortable in using with your DSM. I on the other hand could NEVER use white glue while basting a quilt. I will just remain in the dark with my eyes shut on that subject.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM

I would worry more about the color and weight or thickness of the threads than whether it is cotton or poly. I wouldn't use rayon, however.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM

whether hand piecing, hand sewing or using my machine, those mettler threads break and fray and are totally useless.

i know people love them, and i am willing accept that i am doing something to cause them to be so ridiculously useless but i think they are terrible.

aileen
Old 04-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I stopped using Mettler silk-finish cotton when I found Aurifil 50-wt 2-ply. Didn't have breakage or fraying with Mettler, but *did* have a lot of lint. I didn't realize how much lint until I switched to Aurifil.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:23 PM

Depends for piecing I love cotton by far more than poly, but for quilting I am really starting to love poly for that. for FMQ I find that there is a ton of lint with all cotton including some that most say hardly have lint, had a lot of lint when I was working with it. I also find it shreads more even when moving up to a larger needle, while when I play with poly, hardly any lint and seldom a breakage. I still have one more brand of popular cotton to try before I make up my mind
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 PM

well i'm confused about thread now, I just think I will keep using my connecting threads .ty all for sharing.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Yes, the quilts that I make are to be used and love! Mine will never be show quilts. I was just concerned about the cutting from poly thread. Doesn't sound like I have to worry about any of this. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 PM

Good to know! My machines likes Coats and Clark all purpose, but not so much Gutterman. I guess your right, I will just use what I like them and what I have.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 AM

I love Aurifil for piecing. I think I get a more accurate seam once it is pressed with this thread. I have a good collection of colors of Guterman thread that I use for everyday sewing and usually use Guterman white for machine quilting. On a quilt that I recently completed I used Coats and Clark grey thread to quilt it. I used the C&C because I didn't want to drive 30 miles to get another brand as I live in a rural area. I have thread that is old from my mother and grandmother's stash and have been told never use old thread. I pull on the thread that's old and if it doesn't break then I use it. If it does I throw it out. Bottom line is use what you like and don't obsess over it. Clean your machine regularly to get rid of the lint and have fun.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 AM

Aurifil....my guilty pleasure!

Tho I have and use other brands too.

Sandy