Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread, what kind and why? >

thread, what kind and why?

thread, what kind and why?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:13 AM

I use the Essential line from Connecting Threads, exclusively. My Juki TL98Q loves it. I piece and free motion quilt with it. Reasonably priced and endless colors. They just added variegated to their selections.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I thought polyester threads cuts into your material over time, that we shouldn't use it? Is this a myth? My quilt is a queen size and I do over buy when i buy thread as I can't run for a spool or two into town if I run short. Is poly ok to quilt with or a blend? Do I need just 100% cotton?
Myth. Look at Superior Threads web site for good info on types of threads.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 AM

I guess I have been 'upsold' by the thread marketers.

Back when I was making drapes and costumes and the rare garment or upholstery project, I used to use Coats and Clark for everything.

Now I'm quilting, I have come to love Aurfil for piecing because my machine loves it and the cotton print fabric loves it - it is smooth, stays in place, has a nice sheen, the 50 weight not too heavy. For Asian prints, I use Aurfil but prefer a lighter thread. For batiks, I prefer a thinner thread for piecing, even a C&C Fine. I used to hate Superior So Fine and Bottom Line because they seem to have a will of their own, but I have come to appreciate them - strong and thin and smooth. My quilting is not good enough to use a thicker showy thread. I am doing an applique wall hanging and I just bought some 100WT Invisifil - can't wait for it to arrive!

I guess the net net is I am picking threads I really like to work with, just like I pick fabric I like to work with. And I try to match the thread to the fabric and the project.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 AM

I use Aurifil for piecing, and King Tut for quilting on my long arm......it does not like 50 weight threads - have to use 40 weight.......and I never have lint or tension issues with King Tut.......Just have not had luck with other brands....too much lint, thread breaks, etc....for machine embroidery, I generally stick with Robison Anton Rayon......
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM

I use good ole Coats and Clark. After checking several spools just now, I see that some of it is polyester covered polyester, some of it is mercerized cotton covered with polyester, some of it is 100 percent cotton but it is all labeled Dual Duty. My sewing machines are not finicky about thread except that none like nylon filament (invisible thread). If they were finicky, they would find themselves at that great place where finicky machines go--the 2d hand shop--because I don't have time to fool with finicky dogs, cats, kids, adults or machines.
If I had a deal on polyester thread and it were the color I wanted to use, I would use it and rejoice! I am willing to bet that whatever you use, your quilt will outlast most of us on this board and no one except you will ever know what kind of thread you used. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I just bought some thread yesterday for a quilt and I went to use it tonite, I got polyester blend. I usually like cotton. What kind do you use and why? Where do you buy it? I think I am returning them, about 20 spools. Unless I hear from someone else why I should keep it. I am so confused on the quality of threads and what to use. Maybe others are too.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM

My favorite for piecing is Aurifil 50, but I also use Masterpiece from Superior as well as tried some others. For my LA< I mainly use Glide, but also have used Signature when I rented time on a LA. Signature is what the owners liked and provided. I also have Omni, King Tut, Twist, and some others for the LA.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM

I find a lot of lint on my pressure foot when using Essential from Connecting threads BUT I also clean out the bobbin case and foot ect with my brush when changing out every bobbin so really no worries. I am a beginner so I buy whats on sale as long as it's cotton, I started sewing my clothing years back and always used cotton thread so I figure my clothes lasted a long time so will my quilts. I usually use C&C unless I can't find it in the color I want, then it's another brand of cotton.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 PM

OK maybe a stupid question but is there an easy way to find out if your thread is too old to use besides the dust ect. Like if tugging at a length of thread..if it breaks easy it's no good? I ask this because I have several bags of threads DH bought for me at Estate Sales. How do I know if it's too old to use? TY Quilting Board for all your excellent advice.
Jeri In Corpus Christi, TX
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
OK maybe a stupid question but is there an easy way to find out if your thread is too old to use besides the dust ect. Like if tugging at a length of thread..if it breaks easy it's no good? I ask this because I have several bags of threads DH bought for me at Estate Sales. How do I know if it's too old to use? TY Quilting Board for all your excellent advice.
Jeri In Corpus Christi, TX
Good question. I recently did a "snap" test on the threads I have been successfully using for piecing and quilting (mostly Aurifil and Glide) and was surprised to find that -- even though they are new threads -- they break fairly easily if I tug them between two hands. The fact that they break is probably good, as it means the thread will break before sawing through fabric.

I guess what I would do is to use the tug test on the estate sale thread and compare to your current known good threads. If they break in a similar manner, the estate threads should be okay.

The biggest worry with old thread is "dry rot", which makes the thread break much more easily.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM

I have old thread from my mother that I cannot bear to throw away. Sentimental. I use those to baste my quilts together. I feel a connection to her I guess. I am beginning to appreciate the differences in thread. My Bernina's DO NOT like Sulky at all. I was at MQX and the Sewing Expo last weekend and bought several brands of threads. I found King Tut is delightful to machine quilt with. Never tried Glide, but bought 8 large spools at the show to try. I also bought Superior. I generally piece with Gutterman, but my Bernina dealer just told me to use Aurifil. I am lucky that the Aurifil dealer is in the next town, so I am hoping to pick up when I need some thread as she does not have a storefront. As everyone stated, it's all about personal preference. Just like quality quilt shop fabrics. Some people insist on quilting with cheaper Walmart type fabrics. In the end, you always get what you pay for.