Tied

Old 11-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Comforters may be tied, but quilts can also be tied. My Mother and your Grandmother as well as her Mother made QUILTS, it doesn't matter if they were stitched or tied.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Maybe this will help eliminate the "argument".

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines quilt as: QUILT. : a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.

Jan in VA
To go along with Jan a tied quilt is called tufted since you must have enough ties for your batting. My grand mother tied her quilts every 1" so the ties add another dimension as well to the quilt as does quilting.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:34 PM

I have always thought of a comfort as having more batting in it, bigger pieces and made out of heavier fabrics ( mom used men's wool suits. I grew up in the '50's and we didn't have modern heating, we would have one comfort on our bed and one quilt. Really cold night we could always have another quilt, but many more than that they would get too heavy.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I was always told the difference between a quilt and a comforter was the closeness of the stitching/tying. Quilts were closer stitched/tied. Comforters were stitched/tied much further apart. If you look some comforters are as far apart in stitching as a foot. Some are only stitched/tied around the edges and very little in the center. I just call them as the words roll of my tongue. I have no problem with standing and being corrected. All opinions and corrections are welcomed. Just be nice, please!
This is funny Tess, when DH points out my (gasp) wrong doing or saying I always say "I stand corrected" LOL to which he says "no no Momma your right I was just suggesting something different" yep I'm the meany around here lol.
Jeri
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
This is how I looked at it.... silly old me.... if they were store bought they were comforters. If they were made by yourself or someone else (other than the Walmart or JC Penney factory) then the were quilts
I sew agree with you meyert!! If it's bought from a retail store it's a comforter because it gives comfort to someone who really wants a quilt LOL
Jeri
Jeri
Old 11-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Funny, and I was told in a class not too long ago that a tied quilt is not a quilt, it's a "coverlet".

The definition Jan posted seems to sort of back that up, in that it appears a quilt is a type of coverlet?

I consider tied quilts to still be quilts. In my mind, a comforter is not pieced, nor is it bound, and it has high loft and large spaces between quilting lines. I don't think I've ever seen anything with ties that I'd consider to be a "comforter".

Funny how complex it gets, and almost arbitrary in some ways.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:16 PM

I wonder how much of our take on this is regional? A down comforter to one may be a feather tick to someone else. just a thought.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 PM

My quilt may be your comforter,
It's not for me to say.
Coverlet or feather tick;
Is it tied or sewn this way?
I don't care who is wrong or right,
As long as it keeps me warm at night!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
My quilt may be your comforter,
It's not for me to say.
Coverlet or feather tick;