tied quilts

Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM

hi my name is judy d from nc,i just finished a king size tied quilt for my sister,she found the top at a yard sale in texas for 2;00,it was 5 inch solid colored blocks.so i got 10 yards of a small print butterfly pattern for the back.then i tied off each square with a color of thread to match a top block.it is beautiful,if i do say so myself.my grandmammy taught me to tie and quilt some 55 years ago.i am retired now and i am ready for freddy when it comes to quilting.i would to hear from other quilters that love to chat.also have you ever made a yoyo quilt.i have made 9,each had over 2200 yoyo's in them thanks for the time to chay judy
Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Judy
I'm so impressed, I'm serious girlfriend. You made 9 Yo Yo quilts, all by hand. Lord . You have the patience of JOB. I know what Yo Yo quilts are. I have a verry old one sitting right next to me in a box. My dear buddi bought for me at a yard sale. I want to put it together but it really needs cleaned first, and I'm afraid to try. Sorry to get off track,,,, Welcome you will really enjoy youself here. Lots of friendly people and lots of info. Read some of the threads. And look at the pictures, there is so much talent and creativity. Enjoy.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:39 PM

Hi Judy,
I'm Sharon from NC. lol I live in Jacksonville along the coast. I, too, enjoy the quilting since I retired.

I'm really very impressed with the nine yoyo quilts. I've never tried to make one but it's in one of my notebooks To Do.

Sharon
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM

i am very very proud of patrick,he is a wonderful person,husband and father.he has a 9 year old and a 5 year old.they spend a couple of nites a week with me.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM

sharon you need to do at least 1 yoyo quilt.they are fun,,,
Old 03-09-2007, 04:48 PM

hi Judy, Welcome can you post a picture of one of your quilts, I would love to see them, and I'm sure everyone else will to.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:53 PM

the yoyo's are just plain fun to do,i can sew several circles every nite,and before long they add up.to clean one of mine i layed it on the floor flat on top of a sheet.then i put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and misitd it,as i did this i used a clean new sponge and dabbed the dirty spots,the next morning i layed it in the porch to air out. this worked for me,good luck
Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM

ruth i would love to post a picture but i don't know how.i have some pictures of some of them,mabe when my daughter in law come over i can get her to show me how to scan it and post it.that would be great,
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 AM

I was looking at the yo yo's on internet, look at these cute ideas using yoyo's lots of tree ornaments , and nice hot pads
http://www.cddesigns.com/AfternoonProj/YoYo/projects.htm

I was reading an article about templates for them and a CD was suggested. I think we all get them in the mail from time to time, or can pick them up in stores., what a great idea for a circle.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Never tried a yo yo. I could make a hot pad with this. Maybe a pot holder. I saw on simply quilts once a lady made perfect grape applique similar to this. The stitching is the same only she put a plastic washer in the middle and then pulled making a perfect circle. Then press to keep formation, remove washer and then repull and sew. It looked so easy. I haven't tried it yet but I will someday.