Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for 1/4" seam allowance

Tips for 1/4" seam allowance

I've noticed some "talk" here about the 1/4" seam allowance --- achieving it/not achieving it. All the tutorials I've seen in the past lacked one thing that I noticed not long ago. I've had the problem with being accurate when sewing in the past. This week I've been trying my BEST to be as accurate as possible. I saw someone in a video doing something that has REALLY helped! So I thought I'd share with you.

I noticed that when the person on tv (F&P or ?) was sewing the 1/4" seam she had the bottom fabric SLIGHTLY (and I do mean SLIGHTLY) showing along the outer edge. Many times I'd get a seam done, turn the block over and the bottom fabric would have moved over and away. I've been trying this where, when I line the fabric up, I allow the bottom fabric to be a fraction to the right where I can see it. I have to tell you --- I've sewing 50 triple sashing stitches this week, then measured to cut and I've NEVER had my 1/4" seams so perfect!!!!!

I hope this helps you all!!!

Cheers! and Happy Quilting!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

ro
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip. ya never know til you try. and you're right sometimes that bottom has a mind of its on and just takes a walk.

Blog Entries
    Thanks--I will try that. But I don't comprehend why a foot designed for quilting will not measure a "scant" 1/4" accurately.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Thanks for the tip.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    thanks for this great tip
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I do this. It really does help.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Thank you for the tip, I will give that a try!!!

Thanks I'll try it since I always have trouble with my seams!
    I also saw a video on the internet (sorry, can't remember who/what it was) that showed three different 1/4" feet from three different machines. None of them sewed a 1/4" seam! You HAVE to measure on you own machine(s) to find the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    Thanks--I will try that. But I don't comprehend why a foot designed for quilting will not measure a "scant" 1/4" accurately.
    It's not the fault of the foot...it's that pesky fabric that likes to slip and slide. I discovered putting the under fabric a really slight distance to the right of the top fabric so i could just barely see it and it really does work. halleluh!!!

Blog Entries
    I started doing this about a year ago and it really makes and difference in my seam.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast