Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips needed for attending sister's quilt show >

Tips needed for attending sister's quilt show

Tips needed for attending sister's quilt show

Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 AM

Watch your footing as you walk around. My mom went on a senior center tour bus a few years ago. She stepped into a hole right in the main walking area, sprained her ankle and chipped a bone in her foot. Ended up spending the time with an elevated, iced foot the whole trip.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:13 AM

We arrived at 6 am and grabbed coffee and treats at the bakery while we watched then hang the outdoor quilts. We got to see a lot before the weather got hot and parking was a breeze at that hour. My husband even enjoyed this show!
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by msrosecooks View Post
Hello all. My sister and I will be attending the sister's quilt show in oregon in july. Any tips would be appreciated! Did you go and did you like it? Good places to shop and eat? Are there any "must see" touristy things to do while there? Thanks guys!!!!
It's a great show, dunster is correct. Arrive early, they usually have the quilts up by 8 am and there are fewer people looking. Every year that I've attended, I always try to get up there a day ahead to check out the stores as well as the quilt shop. Much easier to purchase fabric the day before so you don't have to deal with the huge lines at the checkout stands. Munchies are a real must as well as water. I don't know where you are staying, but Bend has a great downtown fair that always takes place on that weekend and wonderful places to eat. Strolling along the Deschutes River is always a nice way to relax and finish out a long day at the Sisters' Quilt Show. I won't be going this year but look forward to going again next year. Enjoy it!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
For the day of the show, arrive early while it's still cooler. Wear a hat and protect your skin from the sun either with sunscreen or clothing. Take a water bottle. I like to take a neck cooler and replenish it in water during the day. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. Take a camera with plenty of storage space and extra batteries if your camera uses them. (I'm not mentioning film because most people are using digital cameras.) For places to eat, I like the BBQ place, but everything gets crowded around lunch time. It's good to take something to munch on just in case. You will have fun, guaranteed.

(and a big tote bag for all the goodies!)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
" Make sure you know where you left your vehicle! We saw more than one person wandering around trying to find theirs"

One helpful hint: once you have parked, take pictures with your phone of where you are parked. Include any stores, signs, etc., that will help you locate it later.
What a great idea...applies to any event where one may not be able to park close or in a lot. Thanks Mcwilter
Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Are you sure everyone knows that Sisters is a town in Oregon? I know that quilt show is very famous, but perhaps there are those who have never heard of it. I have been in Sisters, but not during the quilt show. Cute little town.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 PM

I agree with what everyone has indicated...BUT, I suggested not wearing dark polyester. When a few years back and my friend's sister-in-law wore very dark navy blue polyester top and slacks--she did not make it till lunch and had to leave. We is 100% cotton wear warm but we could tolerate the heat much better.

We had a great time and wish you well. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:08 PM

I would love to go to The Sisters Quilt Show one year. Have lots of fun!