Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
Tips for going to sister's quilt show in oregon >

Tips for going to sister's quilt show in oregon

Tips for going to sister's quilt show in oregon

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Tips for going to sister's quilt show in oregon

Fellow quilters, Just wondering if anyone has any tips for attending the sister's oregon quilt show? Is there another show in the area while this one is going on? My sister and I are going this year and I am getting very excited!!!!!! Any info would be appreciated.......
Old 02-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Here is a link to a related even that is being held in Redmond, OR. This is the 2nd year for this event. Last year's even got great reviews!
http://www.oregonsummerquiltexpo.com/

As for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show... if you plan to come early to take classes before the Quilt show, or are staying overnight... make your hotel reservations as soon as possible!! Hotels fill up very very fast for this event!! The day of the show, plan on arriving as early as possible.... you cannot believe the HUGE traffic back up into Sisters! Our weather here in Central Oregon can get quite HOT in July so plan your wardrobe accordingly. There is always plenty of water stations around which is so nice! Our climate is not HUMID but DRY... except 2 years ago when we had a huge thunder, lightning and monsoon event... lol...
Prepare to be AMAZED at the talent you will see!! Bring your camera, you will want to remember these quilts forever!!
And.. enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Excellent advice from Divokittysmom. I always drive up early in the morning for the show, getting there before it technically is open, but since it is an outdoor show you can still wander around and see the quilts that are already hung, and watch them hanging the last few. (That in itself can be fun to watch.) It can be very hot. I have made those neck coolers and used them to keep cool. Be sure to dress for the heat (I prefer longer sleeves to protect my arms), bring a hat, sunglasses, a camera, and extra batteries for the camera. I'm coming early in the morning from the West, and have never encountered much traffic, but I would imagine that the traffic from Bend (to the East) is much heavier. Sisters is my very favorite quilt show, not because the quilts are better than in other shows but because there are so many of them, and seeing them outdoors is just magical.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Dunster; Agree 100% with you.. thanks for filling in the blanks for me.. they were actually selling the neck scarves for very little at the show... so if you don't have one.. perhaps they will be there again. They were all made up and already cooled down! Yes, the traffic from Bend to Sisters is really a nightmare! And.. it certainly is a magical place to be outside in fabulous sunny weather surrounded by QUILTS!!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Comfortable shoes are a must!!! Bring a water bottle that you can re-fill if you don't want to purchase them throught the day. Unless you want to wait forever, pick a more "off"time to eat lunch.

I have walking issues and by the end of the day I really did not think I would make it back to my car. My feet and back hurt so much!!! Had to take a couple of Vicodin to keep moving. Wish I had brought my cane or something.....

A lot of the quilt shops in the surrounding towns have sales and events going on for all the quilters that come into the area.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

I have not been to it but for sure have a great time!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 PM

It's a wonderful show...don't forget to look inside the businesses where quilts are hung also! Quilt shops in Bend and Redmond will be having sales and sewing classes too.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 AM

I went last year and took my 3 year old grandson. They live near Redmond so we first went to the show in Redmond. It was wonderful, lots of great vendors but we were some of the very few people there that morning - luck of being the first year. There was ample parking at the Redmond location and the admission to the show gave you a ride on a luxury bus ride to Sisters. My grandson loved riding on the big bus and the bus line packed his stroller in the luggage compartment for me quick and easy. I would love to go again, so much fun seeing the open air quilts.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 AM

I've been to the Sisters quilt show quite a few times as I live in Salem, Oregon -- its less than 2 hours away. I would not be able to handle both events at the same time...I find I'm so tired after the Sisters show that I just want to get home. I'd bring several snacks and plan on eating lunch either very early or very late -- it gets crammed full of people at all of the eateries. One year I packed a lunch in a cooler and had a little rest in one of the parks, which I enjoyed. Cannot imagine how the show can get any more wonderful!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM

The Sisters Pharmacy is a must see! They have a lot of quilts hung inside that are from the Mary's River Quilt Guild in Philomath, OR. Some of the quilts are for sale. If you are there for a few days, the Redmond event is worth going to (except for the food vendors). They have buses that come in and it goes from Friday thru Sunday. Wonderful quilt shops in Bend and surrounding areas. I go every year with a group of 10 - 12 ladies and spend a week.