Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Towa gauge >

Towa gauge

Towa gauge

Old 04-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The Towa comes with instructions. I rarely use mine as I almost always opt for prewound magnaglide bobbins. You can't use the towa with those. I would use the Superior guidelines and simply match the ply and weight of the Superior product to yours. For example, Glide thread and Superior's Fantastico would be the same setting on the Towa. They are both 40wt trilobal polyesters. No hard fast rules that I am aware of.
this is exactly how I use mine. And I have found it very handy and helpful. the gauge will include instructions on how to insert the bobbin and thread the gauge so it works as expected. I used to try to set tension a la Jamie Wallen's and others methods, but the Towa really makes it consistent and easy, and since I have the gauge--why not use it?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Hmmmm. Things must have changed since I got my TOWA Gauge several years ago. At that time there was a chart with the brand of the longarm machine and the recommended setting for that particular machine. I searched and cannot find it anymore. I have a Tin Lizzie, and my recommended setting was 200. No matter what thread I use, I adjust the bobbin case so that the tension setting is 200 and it works great. I test every bobbin before putting it in the machine.

I used to have a terrible time getting the tension right. I learned about the TOWA Gauge in a class at the quilt show in Houston about six years ago. I was told to leave the top tension alone and just adjust the bobbin tension. Since using the TOWA and adjusting my bobbin tension to 200, I haven't had any problems.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:23 AM

Most often the tension "pull" will be consistent, but you'll have to adjust the tension spring to get that with each different thread.

I've learned half my tension problems are do to the tension on the quilt itself, not the thread tension settings on the machine. Still getting it all figured out though. I think if I was at a show and saw a Towa gauge for sale, I'd probably pick one up. I'm good at procrastinating when I have to order something.