Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Travel with sewing machine? >
  • Travel with sewing machine?

• Travel with sewing machine?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 PM

If you are worried about someone using your machine while you are gone for the day, take a project that is already sandwiched, and do a few FMQ stitches, clip the end threads, and leave the needle down in the project, then turn off your machine. It will look like you are in the middle of the project. No one should bother it, and if they do, you will know.
    Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Heck yeah, bring your machine!! I have done so several times. Never had any trouble with things being disturbed, but I usually don't allow housekeeping in my room anyway unless I'm staying over a week (which is pretty rare).
    Old 10-17-2014, 06:20 AM
    Power Poster

NO, it is not. When I was a teenager back in the 70s visiting my Dad in NJ, I took my sewing machine so I would have something to do when he had to go in to work.
    Old 10-17-2014, 06:23 AM

I have taken a machine with me and plan to do it again! My husband is a golfer...and I am not much of a shopper. I am happy and occupied while he is happy and occupied. I have gotten better at packing what I need. I have a bucket with a pocket organizer (like you can find for tools..but I made mine) I keep it stocked with what I need when I go to class. I also just added a Martelli mat to my collection. It was pricey (!) but it fits in my large suitcase and can be left in a hot car (not forever...but at least while I eat a meal). I try to kit up a project or bring my latest leader/ender project-or both!

Have a safe trip!
    Old 10-17-2014, 05:36 PM

What's your alternative? Watching TV night after night? Yes, take the machine. I took mine with me on a trip. Luckily, there was a iron and ironing board in the room and I was able to iron the seams as I sewed. I set my machine up on the "business desk" in the room and put my cutting board on the ironing board. I did this for about three days and had a great time.

Tate
    Old 10-18-2014, 02:53 AM

I took my Babylock Sofia to the beach last year and, although it was not quilting, sewed several days while there. It was a lot of fun to do that in a different environment - looking out the window at the beach. I would definitely do it again if I were going to be away a week or more. Wrapped my machine in a quilt to protect it in the car and off we went.

[QUOTE=Skittl1321;6931442]I'm going on a 10 day trip. 6 of those days are for business, and I have no plans for the evenings.
    I'm driving, so I could take my machine with me.

Should I?
    Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 AM

Hotel rooms. The housekeeping staff leave the room doors OPEN as they work /clean up the room. I do not leave my sewing machine in the hotel room all day. I don't chance it. I mentally ask myself if I am ready to buy a new machine should mine "walks". Nope. You don't know if a passer-by will decide to snoop when the housekeeper is down the hall (and your room door is open) or they go for addional supplies. Hotels are not liable for valuables. I travel frequently for work. The activitity during the day at a hotel is very active with housekeeping cleaning rooms, maintenance doing repairs, carpet cleaning contractors working on the carpets, etc. I do throw a coat or something over my machine if I leave it in the car. Risk of theft is everywhere but so far I have been fortunate.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 10-18-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    Old 10-18-2014, 03:25 AM

I have a Gem machine and it is easy to take with you. It fits nicely in my car and I have the thread, tools etc in the tote bag with the machine. Nice and compact.
    Old 10-18-2014, 04:18 AM

One of the words of wisdom I live by is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".
    Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 AM

Sewing in your room at night would be like a mini-retreat. I would do it. If you don't take it, at night you will be sitting in your room wishing you had!