Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Travel with sewing machine? >

Travel with sewing machine?

Travel with sewing machine?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Travel with sewing machine?

I'm going on a 10 day trip. 6 of those days are for business, and I have no plans for the evenings.
I'm driving, so I could take my machine with me.

Should I?

I think it would be easy to pack the machine, but I'm trying to figure out what it is I could bring with me to work on that would be easy to pack. I tend towards art quilting so I usually have my whole studio and grab what I feel like... So maybe just bring some blank fabric and try some whole cloth motifs?

But is it crazy to bring my sewing machine?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:47 PM

No, I think it is great that you want to end your day creating--take a different tack, work on squares to be put into a quilt later (think block of the month). And, unless your vision cuts out on you after 5 o'clock (most days this happens to me)you will want to have your sewing machine right handy to see how your cutting efforts are going to turn out.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I also think that's a great idea as long as you are driving. Maybe do a pieced top that you can embellish when you get back home.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:55 PM

If you are traveling by car, have the room and have a machine that is not overly fussy about being moved, I say absolutely take it! Better to have it and decide you don't want to sew than to not have it and want to spend your free time sewing.

Think about where you usually start - piecing the background, a particular embellishment or two - and take those materials, saving the rest or the things that vary a lot for when you get home.

Alternatively, take hand work - a project nearing completion that is at the stage where it embellishments need to be sewn by hand, or needs binding.

Be sure to take a light with you, as many hotel rooms do not have sufficient lighting for any type of sewing.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Also if it's easy to carry (lightweight) and depending on where you'll be staying, and you can get it all into one case, I would keep it in your car if I were you locked in the trunk. I just would not leave it sit out in the room if you're going to be gone all day!
Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
If you are traveling by car, have the room and have a machine that is not overly fussy about being moved, I say absolutely take it! Better to have it and decide you don't want to sew than to not have it and want to spend your free time sewing.

Think about where you usually start - piecing the background, a particular embellishment or two - and take those materials, saving the rest or the things that vary a lot for when you get home.

Alternatively, take hand work - a project nearing completion that is at the stage where it embellishments need to be sewn by hand, or needs binding.

Be sure to take a light with you, as many hotel rooms do not have sufficient lighting for any type of sewing.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

I've done it on a few business trips. When you're stuck in a hotel room without evening obligations, you can get more sewing done than when you're home and have other things (and people) to tend to. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:13 PM

I went on a trip with Hubby last year when he was taking a class all week and I was stuck in a hotel room without a car. We flew across country and I took my small Elna Lotus sewing machine with me and a quilt that was cut out. I took a 12x18" mat and rotary cutter, other basic supplies, and used the iron in the room. One day I took a class at a quilt shop I found in walking distance but the rest of the week I got quite a bit done. I did spend the nice afternoons out at the pool but we did have some rain and overcast mornings so having sewing with me was great.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM

When I take my sewing machine, I leave it in the room during the day. It has never been disturbed. And I would be more likely to take it into work with me than to leave it in the car. That would depend on where I can park my car. If it is lot for employees only I would more than likely leave it in the car if my luggage is there too.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 PM

I always take my machine and a project when I go anywhere, keep a plastic tote packed with stuff to go.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

My suggestion would be to make your own kit before leaving home, with all the fabrics cut, and ready to sew. By doing so, you can probably eliminate taking a cutting mat, and rotary cutter. Remember thread snippers, thread, replacement needles, your machine tools kit ... and anything else you might need.

For sure, take along an extension cord and an extra light source as hotel rooms are notorious for lighting that is not the best for sewing.

Try to pack your machine and all your necessary items into one rolling suitcase, so it's simple to take into the room. If leaving in the room during the day, I'd pack it all back up just so you don't have to worry about anything happening.