Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Travel with sewing machine? >

Travel with sewing machine?

Travel with sewing machine?

Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
eliminate taking a cutting mat, and rotary cutter. Remember thread snippers, thread, replacement needles, your machine tools kit ... and anything else you might need.
For sure, take along an extension cord and an extra light source as hotel rooms are notorious for lighting that is not the best for sewing.
Take the cutting mat and ruler. Squaring up is one of the important steps. I have a 6 X 18 cutting mat that lives in my tote bag that goes places with me. A ruler that size or smaller takes hardly any room either. They would fit in a suitcase.

I've spent many days in Chicago alone in the house while everyone else is at work or school. I've sewn in hotel rooms and campers, too. Just like a retreat.

[QUOTE] One of the words of wisdom I live by is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". southernmema

Last edited by maviskw; 10-18-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

I miss my machine even on pleasure trips. I plan out something to take, even if is handwork
Old 10-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Just got back from a week away from home. I cut out about8 projects and took them with me. I have a little Janome machine and it works well for travelling. I sew 5 of them in the evenings and have a great start of Christmas gifts. Beats watching TV in a hotel room.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:00 AM

Since you are driving, take a good light also. Hotels don't always have the best "I really need to see what I am looking at" lights.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 AM

If I am traveling my car, or 5th wheel camper I always have a sewing machine with me. The camper carries sewing box, iron, ironing pad etc. The car has the same except for iron and pad. A hotel always had one available if needed. We just got back from a 16 day cruise and I completed 13 charity quilts. All were done except for finishing the binding. I had attached the binding on the front and I always finish sewing the back by hand. I worked on charity quilts for the last three months before we left and filled one suitcase with binding ready quilts to be finished. I took a small sewing kit and filled at least two bobbins with the colors I needed to complete the job. We took shore cruises on three days so no sewing those days. I finished all of them one day before we came to port. I had a "throw down cross stich" table topper with me "Just in case" and I worked on it the last day.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 AM

If I were traveling by car I would take a machine in a heartbeat!!! When I traveled for business I took hand project (epp) great for flight etc and some crochet.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Absolutely bring your machine. Great way to end the day. As to what to bring, I would suggest a UFO. Work on it every night, and by the end of your trip, it will no longer be a UFO.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Oh, yes -- take it! I wish some of my meetings had been within driving distance when I was working. I would have been delighted to spend my evening de-stressing at the machine. Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
When I take my sewing machine, I leave it in the room during the day. It has never been disturbed. And I would be more likely to take it into work with me than to leave it in the car. That would depend on where I can park my car. If it is lot for employees only I would more than likely leave it in the car if my luggage is there too.
Or leave it with the front desk and remember the name of the person working the desk.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM

Or if you have a precut kit of some type take that to sew would eliminate having to take a few things. I just bought a clearance wall hanging kit to take in RV for over the Thanksgiving Holidays.
Jeri