Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling to IOWA - what should I not miss? >

Traveling to IOWA - what should I not miss?

Traveling to IOWA - what should I not miss?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Traveling to IOWA - what should I not miss?

My husband and I will be traveling to Carroll, Iowa next week. What should we not miss? We will be driving from St. Louis, north on highway 61/218 to Mt Pleasant, then heading west on 34 to Ottumwa, Oskaloosa, Pelta, Monroe, Des Moines, and on to Carroll. What are the must-see's for this part of Iowa? And PRAY the weather is Good!!!
Ann
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM

There's a really terrific shop in Clive and also in Ankenney. I can't remember the names but if you google them I'll bet you could find them.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM

There is wonderful quilt show in downtown Ames by Iowa State Univ. Excellent selection.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Don't miss all the GOP candidates running all around Iowa! lol
Old 12-15-2011, 03:09 PM

John Wayne ( the Duke ) was born in a small town just South of Des Moines. There are also nice covered bridges to see, The Bridges of Madison County was filmed there as was the Kevin Costner movie, Field of Dreams. Of course, these ideas are mostly given to keep your husband happy while you dream and visit the LQS!! Watch the weather....you know how Mother Nature likes to fool us this time of year....

jodimarie
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Well ... if you were willing to continue north from Mt Pleasant to I80 (at Iowa City), the Amana Colonies are just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from there - just north and west. Then you can continue on I80 through to DesMoines and on to your destination. Or ... take that way home just to mix things up (hubby and I rarely take the same way home - too much to see out there!).

Amana Colonies are well worth visiting. There are I think 7 different villages in a somewhat circle. The routes to each of the villages are well marked and most of the village shops have maps of the colonies. The biggest is of course Amana. The juxtaposition of the old Amish stores and shops and the large Amana (of "radar range" fame) manufacturing plant just on the edge of town is rather interesting.

Homemade meats, pastries, breads, candies, jams, preserves, etc.
Homemade brooms, a wool and cotton mill, antique shops and art galleries
Handmade knives and kitchen utensils and cookwear

And of course quilts!! Antique quilts, handmade Amish quilts, quilt shops for fabric, handmade lace

Take a look.

http://amanacolonies.com/pages/shopping.php

If I was within 70 miles (which you will be), I wouldn't miss it for the world. Plan on spending some time there though. There is a LOT to see and it's well spread out. I need to go back in fact - I haven't been there since 2001!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Too bad you weren't coming through northern Missouri. You could stop at the Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
JT

Originally Posted by CircleSquare View Post
My husband and I will be traveling to Carroll, Iowa next week. What should we not miss? We will be driving from St. Louis, north on highway 61/218 to Mt Pleasant, then heading west on 34 to Ottumwa, Oskaloosa, Pelta, Monroe, Des Moines, and on to Carroll. What are the must-see's for this part of Iowa? And PRAY the weather is Good!!!
Ann
Do you need a new machine? There is a great Janome shop in Ottumwa that has some great sales on right now on Janomes. Here's Tim's website: iowasewinghouse.com