Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Trying to figure it out-Is there a "Standard" strip size??

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)

Question Trying to figure it out-Is there a "Standard" strip size??

Good Evening Every1,

I hope that all is well with you and your families. I am cutting up all of my scraps into strips for future quilts. I was wondering if there is a specific strip size, that would be considered a "standard" sized strip? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to thank you all for looking at my post. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Have a blessed day.

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

2.5 inches is very common. It is used often for precuts, such as jelly rolls

Skittl1321 is correct that 2.5" is very common, but there is no standard size. I have in the past cut all my strips at 1.5" to make log cabin quilts. Other people make the same type of quilt with 2" or 2.5" strips. So even for one design, there is no standard size.

2 1/2" is one that I use a lot. Good for sashing, binding, lo.ts of quilt peices are 2 1/2 x ? whatever,

Have you looked at quiltville.com? Bonnie Hunter has some great advice on cutting up strips and making them into scrappy quilts. I know she uses a lot of 2 1/2 inch strips but she has "bins" of other sizes too.

I cut the widest strip I can -- as long as it is over 12" long. If it is less than 12" long, I cut into squares.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I cut the widest strip I can -- as long as it is over 12" long. If it is less than 12" long, I cut into squares.
    I do this as well. If you want a narrower strip later, you can always cut the wider ones down.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore