Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids. >

Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Trying to figure out a way to be able to stay at home with my kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
AngieS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 3,209
Default

Any ideas?

My husband and I have been married for almost 16 years. For most of these years I have been able to stay at home with our 5 children. For the past 2 years I've had to work. Which my job may be coming to an end here soon. I honestly don't want to have to return to work. If I were to get laid off I would be able to collect unemployment unless of course they run out which would be my luck! :shock:

We have figured up that if we cut out all the extras like cable, internet-YIKES, home phone, private school $170-and homeschool, Karate (which the kids are getting tired of anyway), the extra gas of $300 at a minimum a month, the $300 for a sitter that we can do this. Dropping full coverage insurance (our cars are paid for anyway and not worth a mint). I would be cooking more from scratch instead of being in a rush and picking something up or ordering pizza.

I am just trying to think of anything else to help or even generate money. I am doing some sewing but I'm not all that savvy with it just yet so I couldn't make money there. I don't have a quilting machine.

The only thing I can think of is......my husband works nights and on Mondays he doesn't usually sleep during the day. So, I could have him teaching/watching the kids and I could go and clean a house or two. When I got home he could then go and take a nap like he usually does. That could generate $65- over $100 right there. I would just have to have that lined up to do just on Mondays. Plus it would get me out of the house.

Can you think of anything else? It would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Angie
AngieS is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The middle of an IL cornfield
Posts: 7,014
Default

One of my cousins has made a nice little business for herself doing errands and cooking for elderly folks in her area. She picks up medicine, buys a few groceries, mails a box and little things like that. She also makes small sized dishes of different casseroles and such that can be popped in the oven. She has 3 people she does this for on a weekly basis and makes a bit of spending money.
Lisa_wanna_b_quilter is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 201
Default

I admire your desire to not work outside your home while raising a family. I was home with mine and do not regret it one bit. Children grow up way too fast especially in today's culture. Money was tight, we had 4 kids in Catholic schools. I did a little day care here and there part time. I did cook and bake a lot from scratch. Our family entertainment was tent camping, reading aloud in the evenings and fun meals like picnics (indoors during cold weather). The library was a great place to go with our kids. Hang in there and follow your heart, not necessarily what the neighbors think is important.
loriea is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
AngieS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 3,209
Default

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
One of my cousins has made a nice little business for herself doing errands and cooking for elderly folks in her area. She picks up medicine, buys a few groceries, mails a box and little things like that. She also makes small sized dishes of different casseroles and such that can be popped in the oven. She has 3 people she does this for on a weekly basis and makes a bit of spending money.
Lisa that is neat. I wonder how she went about doing this? That would be such a help to an elderly person. When/If I take my Mamaw to the grocery she always tries to give me money. I have told her what good of a grand-daughter am I if I can't take her to the store? So I guess if you have no one around you this would be of significant help to you.
AngieS is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Grama Lehr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,783
Default

Angie, looks like you really thought this out. The only think I could think of is baby sitting, but you already have a house full. Kudos!! The things we do for our kids. . .
Marie
Grama Lehr is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
AngieS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 3,209
Default

Originally Posted by loriea
I admire your desire to not work outside your home while raising a family. I was home with mine and do not regret it one bit. Children grow up way too fast especially in today's culture. Money was tight, we had 4 kids in Catholic schools. I did a little day care here and there part time. I did cook and bake a lot from scratch. Our family entertainment was tent camping, reading aloud in the evenings and fun meals like picnics (indoors during cold weather). The library was a great place to go with our kids. Hang in there and follow your heart, not necessarily what the neighbors think is important.
Thank you. Our children are growing. Our oldest is now 13, our twins are 10, our youngest boy is 7 and our only girl is 3. I miss being home with them something terrible. I feel like I've missed so much of our little girl's life. I want to be the one there when she's not feeling well or is riding her bike and other things. My boys are so loving but with them being around the other kids at their new school I can see the change. I need to get them back to how they were....sweet and loving. Since my DH works at night I don't really want to babysit anyone's children. I have tried that and just got to where I couldn't enjoy my own because there were so many. I had 3 little girls that I kept, they were really sweet but the mother was a different story. I felt very bad for the children but I just couldn't watch them anymore.

I would love to have my kids and I be able to go and visit people in nursing homes and brighten the elderly's day. :) My kids love to chat with the elderly of our church. Since I work all the time we don't get to go and visit like I would like to do. My house work is always hurried. No deep cleaning because there's just not enough time. On Mother's Day we had a throw out session-which was very enjoyable actually! ;) We got rid of a truck load of things. Just things, things we no longer needed/wanted. Oh, that felt so good. Yes, I know I could have tried to have a yardsale but really I just would rather pass it on to someone that can use it. We put old boardgames that the kids were not going to use outside and they were gone quickly, a printer/fax/copier, an air purifier, a track lighting set still in the box, tons and tons of our clothes that no longer fit. I have a huge bag of comforters and sheets and some clothes for my nephews.

I would love to have a decluttering of the entire house. It is just so slow going while trying to work. I also need to finish painting on the inside of the house.....takes time and I am too tired when I get home in the evening. I get home around 5, make dinner and lunch, DH leaves at about 7 and I'm busy putting the kids in the bath, homework and in the bed. I'm exhausted by 8 pm.

So, I have to figure this out! :thumbup: I'm done rambling. Sorry. :XD:
AngieS is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 AM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
AngieS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 3,209
Default

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Angie, looks like you really thought this out. The only think I could think of is baby sitting, but you already have a house full. Kudos!! The things we do for our kids. . .
Marie
Thank you Marie. I appreciate it. :wink: I know that DH misses being with me. For the past 2 years we have worked at the same place. We have seen each other every day while at work. Since he went on to his other job we rarely see each other and that is hard too. I work days and he works nights. The only way for us to see each other is if I'm at home. What can I say.....I think he loves me. ;-) Almost 16 years....you'd think he'd be tired of me. :lol:
AngieS is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wadesboro, NC
Posts: 758
Default

I wish I could help. I'm in about the same situation though. I lost my job about a year ago and I haven't been able to find another one. I've sold a few things. If you have used home school curriculum in good condition, you might be able to sell it if you don't plan to use it for a younger child. Some people do well with Osbourne books or selling cosmetics or cookware. You might consider tutoring kids in reading or math or science. I saw an ad today that a quilting shop was looking for creative teachers. I've taught reading and math, but never sewing. Also this quilt shop is 150 miles away from my home so it isn't really an option. It's nice to dream though. I'm a homeschooling mom. If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I need to make some income for my family too. Thanks!
TootieAnn is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
AngieS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 3,209
Default

Originally Posted by TootieAnn
I wish I could help. I'm in about the same situation though. I lost my job about a year ago and I haven't been able to find another one. I've sold a few things. If you have used home school curriculum in good condition, you might be able to sell it if you don't plan to use it for a younger child. Some people do well with Osbourne books or selling cosmetics or cookware. You might consider tutoring kids in reading or math or science. I saw an ad today that a quilting shop was looking for creative teachers. I've taught reading and math, but never sewing. Also this quilt shop is 150 miles away from my home so it isn't really an option. It's nice to dream though. I'm a homeschooling mom. If you come up with any ideas, please let me know. I need to make some income for my family too. Thanks!
Cleaning houses was just a thing that I know around here people are looking for. Last year when I thought I was going to lose my job that is what I was planning to do. I know several people that do this that said they could help me find some places.

I am going to pm you. ;)
AngieS is offline  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,063
Default

I'll be watching your topic! One way that we have cut back alot is on my prescriptions. We use an online pharmacy through our insurance. I also consolidated our cell phones (we each had a different provider).

The only other thing that I would say is don't go too crazy cutting. I think the key to making an austerity budget work is cutting enough that there is real savings but not so much that everyone feels deprived. Draconian cuts can rarely be sustained for long periods of time.

Do you really want to go without internet service? For example, if you're homeschooling wouldn't the internet be a useful tool - not just for the schoolwork but for curriculum?

I am looking forward to other's responses.
AFQSinc is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nancylee
Main
5
11-05-2011 07:31 PM
hmross
Main
12
05-10-2011 05:09 PM
SharonAnne
Main
11
09-01-2010 07:51 PM
Fritzy
Main
20
12-06-2009 08:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter