Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any pattern-holics here? I gave up fabric some time ago,

Blog Entries

Any pattern-holics here? I gave up fabric some time ago,

vowing to work through my stash, and have been very good about that. But now I seem to have transferred my hoarding habit into pattern acquisition. I must have enough patterns for several lifetimes, yet I'm still drawn to that *new* quilt pattern I've never seen before that would be perfect for......

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Me, too, but thank God I don't buy them, I draw them. I'm up to 14 quad-ruled graph paper pads now and the drawer is almost too full to close.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Add me to the patternaholics anonymous group. In addition to collecting patterns from quilt magazines I have hundreds that I've designed in EQ7. It's just fun to play. I know I'll never sew them all but I feel I've made them by creating them.

Yep... I have books & magazines & patterns spilling out of my sewing room & now have been going NUTS downloading stuff from online. I know I'll never make even a tiny fraction of them, but just in case... LOL!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Me too. I ran across a sale of quilting magazines for 10 cents each and spent ten dollars. Then I had to go online to find the missing issues in order to make complete years. Then I found downloadable patterns all over the internet and started printing those out in full color. This weekend I did an inventory of my quilting books - I have 137. Some books I have three copies of! But there's nothing better than sitting on my bed with a pile of magazines and reading each one for the fifth time looking at my next quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    MEEEEEEEEE! from crochet, copied off line on some sites, quilting smae thing, I try to keep them organized , but you know how that is. and as for fabric, yeah, didn't realize I did some hoarding there! so am trying to get stuff organized, and/or get rid of it...
    we don't meet people by accident.Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason.

I'm also a member of patternaholics anonymous. (Only I'm really not trying to quit just yet.) I have so many patterns and books that I've had to create a list to carry with me to shops so I don't buy duplicates. Last time I checked the list was 23 pages long. Guess it's still cheaper than therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Me, too, but thank God I don't buy them, I draw them.
    I'm with you, Jan. The only pattern I've ever purchased was designed by a friend and I bought it as a 'souvenir' of our friendship.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Patterns, patterns and more patterns.....Yippee!!! I just love looking and dreaming about each one and how this piece of fabric would look. It is wonderful therapy and so much fun.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Next time SO says something about all the patterns and books I have, I'll pull this thread up and have him see how much some of you have. I'm in the "nowhere near you" catagory

Blog Entries
    I don't know how I missed this thread this morning...I just started a thread because I have been reorganizing and got all my patterns in one spot and could not believe how many I have.

I have way too many patterns that I have cut from magazines that I don't want to keep. I am going to go through my patterns soon and have a big cleaning day.
    Lorraine

My hand is raised too. Hope DH is not looking.
    Linda

I draw my own patterns, mostly. On graph paper first, then the ones I think are worthy of further playing get punched into EQ7.

I am known for filling entire pages with quilt block doodles during our weekly 2 hour meetings at work, LOL. Fortunately my boss is a firm believer that people who doodle during meetings are still paying attention so I don't get into trouble. (I do occasionally flip to a different page and make an actual note, I actually AM paying at least SOME attention.) And honestly if I weren't doodling I'd be trying not to fall asleep during half of these meetings...

Right now I'm making my first quilt from a pattern, and I'm not making the actual quilt pattern in the book, I just am using the block design. And I DON'T LIKE how it's assembled; I wish I'd made a test block first because I can think of at least one way to simplify the block construction but it's too late because I already cut everything out for the way the book has it. Live and learn!!! So I re-built the block in EQ "my way" in case I ever want to use it again, LOL.

No!

I don't own patterns "as buying" cookie cutter patterns.

I prefer to design and create on the fly so to speak.

Now I do like to spend money on fabrics and when I went to Paduach at the end of April ended up buying 400 plus yards at Hancocks of Paduach. They had a huge sale going and I knew I'd never find such good quality fabric around here.
    clsurz

Patterns? Love patterns! Sewing patterns, crochet patterns, quilt patterns, craft patterns . . . . I love to see how things are put together . . . whether or not I actually put one together, myself.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

My sister calls this PAS, pattern acquisition syndrome. It is very widespread and easy to succumb to. I'm afraid to count how many I have. I HAVE to downsize!!!

You are not alone - there are many of us out there.

Blog Entries
    Was just telling my sister that I was going to start buying patterns only when I'm going to make the actual quilt. I have soooooo many patterns I know I'll never be able to make them in my lifetime. I know I won't stop buying them because I see such wonderful stuff on this board but I will cut down.......maybe
    Bernie

I have so many patterns and even more quilt magazines. I have stacks I haven't even gone through yet.

oh dear me too. Pictures of quilts in my word doc just ready to be made. Print out from the internet just waiting to be used. Mags, books, ideas in my head (Is that the noise during the night?) and paper patterns in cute little plastice bag fromthe LQS that I bought with the ruler I have to find to make the pattern...ugh. But I have a solution. Have a friend that is a beginner. Think I'll give the stuff that I know I'll never use to her with the understanding at some time I may need to borrow it back! LOL
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Oh goody, I don't have to talk about how much fabric I have. I get to talk about the 4 shelf bookcase full of six years of subscriptions to quilting magazines (all of them), plus the 3 bookshelves of nice hardbound quilting books, plus the 4 drawer file cabinet full of those halfpage packaged patterns, plus the 5 shelf bookcase of all the softbound books of all kinds, including knitting and crocheting, plus the file folders on the computer full of patterns I've pulled off the net, plus the half finished projects I've got laying around, plus the - oh yeah, that's it. Whew! Got any more obsessions you wish to talk about?

I also have knitting and crocheting patterns, hooks, needles, and so much yarn. I belong to a charity group that makes afghans for the needy but when I do those I use THEIR yarn. I have a lot of fabric too but it seems when I want to quilt something I have to go out and buy more.

Blog Entries
    Count. Me in I have 4 notebook binders full of copies from the Internet as well as store bought

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    ME too. I'm right there with you. But I keep patterns in sheet protectors and have them in categories so to speak.
    And the quilty magazines I subscribe to and that's all of them, go into a sheet protector as well into a notebook and I lable it by Magazine name. Then I have an index in the front of each binder with special patterns and which mags they are in....
    PAS.....sign me up for that club. LOL
    And if I were as talented as Ghostrider and others, I would still have to have them. I share......
    Now I'll quietly sneak over to the pattern book and add the other three I bought this week.......
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast