Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Trying to get more "white space" at the end of my points

Blog Entries

Trying to get more "white space" at the end of my points

This is quilt that I'm trying to make similar. It's a lovely top that I think I saw on Pinterest called "Coastal Lily". It has lots of flying geese and the "lily" part looks like it is stitched 1/2 or 3/4 inch from the next seam and it doesn't appear to have an extra white strip between the lily and the next block. Best I can do is copy and paste the web page and it's on the far right side and the second row. Any advice is welcome. I can't find the pattern locally.

http://www.pinterest.com/greenfairyq...dsen-quilting/
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-24-2014 at 02:55 AM. Reason: remove copyright picture

You can always add a border between the flowers and the geese but then you would have to re-calulate the number of geese in order for them to fit nicely. Very pretty quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    You would cut the rectangle a bigger 'height'. For instance a common size would be to cut the rectangle 2.5X4.5 inches, and the squares 2.5 inches. If you cut the rectangle 3X4.5, and keep the squares at 2.5 inches, you will get a goose unit that finishes at 2.5X4 and has a white margin. To keep the finished unit at 2 x 4, paper pieceing would be a good option.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Here's a link to a picture of the block. http://www.cupcakesndaisies.com/2013...stal-lily.html
    You could draft your own block and make templates. A quicker method would be to use an over sized hst sewn to a triangle to make the points. Clear as mud?

On the pinterest page, under the picture is the name of the block and who made it. From there you can google. Sometimes that will get you to where you want to go.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    You would cut the rectangle a bigger 'height'. For instance a common size would be to cut the rectangle 2.5X4.5 inches, and the squares 2.5 inches. If you cut the rectangle 3X4.5, and keep the squares at 2.5 inches, you will get a goose unit that finishes at 2.5X4 and has a white margin. To keep the finished unit at 2 x 4, paper pieceing would be a good option.
    Than you PaperPrincess for this hint. I've struggled with this same problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sew Krazy Girl View Post
    Than you PaperPrincess for this hint. I've struggled with this same problem.
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I have ordered the pattern, thanks to you finding it for me. I didn't explain very well that it's the points on the liles I'm trying to get more white space around, not around the geese.