Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Trying to understand

  1. #21
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,874
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    Is the "edit topic" only available on posting in the classified section? I've had a couple of spelling errors in my titles that I would have loved to have been able to correct. I've looked back at my topics and just plain do not have an "edit topic" anywhere...
    if you'd like a title fixed and either don't have or can't find the option to edit the title, a moderator can help you. :-)

  2. #22
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,280
    you can only do it for a while, except in the classifieds section. just looked at one of my older non-classified topics and it is not there.

    has anyone else noticed the lack of new topics in the classifieds since the new rules went in? Looks like we will all be able to save some money and not buy so much, lol!

  3. #23
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    3,902
    O.K. Nancy,
    I think I got the bumping issue resolved. At least I'm not guilty of that one. I don't think I ever replied to my own posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Thanks Nancy,
    I guess I need better glasses. If I update a topic title, is that considered "bumping". If not, what is bumping? I spent 1/2 hr. reading the rules this a.m. & I'm trying to understand the proper procedures when posting an ad.

    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    Oh, it is in blue on my computer, very tiny. You click on it and you can edit the title.
    You are doing great. Took me a long time to find that link the first time I closed a sale. Updating the title is encouraged. When someone posts to your topic, it goes to the top of the list. Bumping is when you write something as a reply to deliberately bump yourself to the top. You are not supposed to do that, but it happens.

  4. #24
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    17,265
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I spend literally hours each day reading posts & answering questions when I can, so I was very dismayed this a.m. when my posting in the Classified section to sell a couple books was immediately deleted. I had only been posting one a week in the Classified Section, but have made thousands of reply posts.

    I think I spent half an hr. reading the new rules, but will have to go back as I still don't see why some posts are o.k. when they are not quilt related.

    I still do not understand what bumping is. Thanks for helping to explain.

    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the rules encourage you to use the Edit Topic Title option instead of update bumps.

    you are doing very well.

    besides ... nobody is going to get chunked into the dungeon for a mistake or two here and there. we know there will be an adustment period.

    chillaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;-)
    Most of your new postings are classified I do believe that is why you got dropped
    The new rules are not about how much you post on topics created by others. They are about how many topics you create. I post a lot, but I don't start that many. I will not be able to sell until I start more topics either. And I think the new posted rules are great. I can think of meaningful topics that I can start to contribute to the community as a whole.

  5. #25
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,143
    It would be nice if we could also edit our topics in Main and Pictures.
    Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has
    made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more
    suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for
    final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D

  6. #26
    Super Member azwendyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,019
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I need help. I wonder if there's something weird about Safari on my Mac that I don't have that option...

  7. #27
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,874
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    The new rules are not about how much you post on topics created by others. They are about how many topics you create. I post a lot, but I don't start that many. I will not be able to sell until I start more topics either. And I think the new posted rules are great. I can think of meaningful topics that I can start to contribute to the community as a whole.
    the new rules consider both ways a member contributes to our community. if you participate (comments) in a lot of quilting related conversations (topics) started by other members, that's active participation. BUT if the only new topics you start yourself are in the classifieds, or if more than half of them are in the classifieds, that's taking too much advantage of the privilege to sell.

    our goal is to ensure that the classifieds are shared fairly by fully participating members. we also want to get the classifieds back to their original spirit ... occassional sales, at genuinely bargain prices, between members/friends.

    if we can achieve that, fewer people will mistake us for an internet flea market for quilters. they won't join with visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads like christmas sugarplumbs.

    we can properly focus on quilting, quilters, friendship and fun.

  8. #28
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    2
    you should also "bookmark" your ad postings. makes it much easier to find them later. you go to your posting, then click "bookmark" and in the area that opens, you type the title you want in there and click save or update. what ever is says. then when you want to look it up again, to to My Bookmarks at the top of the page.
    your list of bookmarks should show up there.

  9. #29
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,874
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    It would be nice if we could also edit our topics in Main and Pictures.
    Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D
    "back in the day", members could edit their posts anytime they wanted. the results were ... shall we say .... interesting. :lol:

    i'm tickled pink to help with edits when you need them. the other mods can help, too.

  10. #30
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    It would be nice if we could also edit our topics in Main and Pictures.
    Sometimes a poster would ask for suggestion and a few pages later has made her decision, finished his/her project but will keep getting 100 more suggestions. Would be nice to edit that topic to say "Update: see page 4 for final decision" etc. Just a thought. :D
    "back in the day", members could edit their posts anytime they wanted. the results were ... shall we say .... interesting. :lol:

    i'm tickled pink to help with edits when you need them. the other mods can help, too.
    I see. :D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.