Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations >

Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations

Tula Pink's books and quilts - what do you think? Also recommendations

Old 09-21-2013, 06:59 AM

I love modern quilts, but from the two books I've seen from Tula Pink, I was not terribly impressed. Nothing in them made me think "WOW, I want to make that one."
Old 09-21-2013, 07:14 AM

You should see her new Butterfly quilt pattern - I ordered it and I am waiting for it to arrive - it looks like several different modern type blocks that are put together in the shape of a butterfly - I can't wait to try this one. http://www.ihearttulapink.com/produc...butterflyquilt
Old 09-21-2013, 12:04 PM

She showed us how to *make* houndstooth squares on Nancy Z. show .I thought that was outstanding since it is our State fabric . Hugs. ROLL TIDE .
Old 09-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Have you checked out her new "City Sampler" book? Several of my LQS's are doing it as a BOM format. One is doing where they pick the fabrics and the one I joined is where we can do it scrappy with either purchased or our own scraps. It should be fun.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM

I just came back from B&N and they had two and I wasn't impressed with either. I guess her style isn't mine. That's fine. Now I know.

@Otis - that's a WOW quilt! I hope you post pics when you're finished.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Her quilts are not to my taste--she does have good ideas but not for me.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
She said ever gorgeous not the gorgeous.
[QUOTE] I think ever gorgeous quilt ever made is on Pinterest now. BellaBoo [QUOTE]

I took this that she meant to say "every gorgeous quilt". What a difference a letter makes.

I made Tula Pink's "Stacks" quilt last spring. I liked it because it was different. I took all my brightest, ugliest, most shocking novelty prints to make it. I made little butterflies to fill up a few of the big white spaces.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I have not encountered Tula Pink....so thanks for starting this thread....I went straight to her website and have spent more time than I can spare drooling over her fabrics. To me they are reminiscent of William Morris, with a modernist twist and a touch of fantasy. I think her quilting designs are terrific...the large spaces would really require some comprehensive quilting though, perhaps that may put some quilters off. Anyway, interesting to read everyone's comments. Happy quilting to all, whatever your style.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by mimi=17 View Post
She showed us how to *make* houndstooth squares on Nancy Z. show .I thought that was outstanding since it is our State fabric . Hugs. ROLL TIDE .
I saw her on Sewing with Nancy too with the houndstooth quilt and corn (I think that's the name) quilt. Really liked them both. The corn quilt was fun since you cut wonky, while the houndstooth was precise but easy sewing and cutting. I doubt I'll make the corn design, but that houndstooth is definitely on my list!

I really like Tula's approach to the art of quilting. The modern quilt movement is bringing in more youngsters in to the craft, and that's always a good thing! I don't think there's ever been a more exciting time to be into quilting -- the fabrics and choices are virtually endless.

I went to my local guild's quilt show yesterday and saw everything you can imagine from traditional to art quilts. I just wish my mom was still here to see this. She loved color, and I think she would have been intrigued with all the new options in quilting.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 AM

I made that design at a recent quilt guild retreat. I'll try to post it later to day. Just a top right now but it was fun to collect fabrics and make.