Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: turning tote/purse straps

Blog Entries
    I have a young friend(30) who when she has to turn anything shouts "dotty" . For some reason she is totally unable to turn fabric, even one handed earlier this year I managed.

if I do need to turn a tube I have a set of different sized saftey pins in my sewing machine box. I use the biggest that will fit intot he channel. However for bag straps I nearly always use regular waistband slotted interfacing which irons on. Then you fold in the edges on the folds and top stitch. Gives you uniform sized straps filled with lovely stiff interfacing. works a treat!

It comes in 1" and just over 1" normally. I noticed recently, Nancy Z has something similar out but it is fairly pricey compared to normal dressmaking waistband interfacing. However she does have some narrower versions.
    Becks

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I fold the strip in half, press, open up, bring each raw edge to the crease mark, press, then fold in half then topstitch down both sides. I usually put a piece of webbing under the folded edges. I don't like turning a tube right side out. This method also has more layers making it stronger and wear longer.
    I make my straps like snipforfun, and it makes a nice, sturdy strap, that is easy to make.

Blog Entries
    I like using the fast turn because when you start to turn, you can catch a strip of batting or cording nd magically it pulls right through....then top stitch on both sides for a finished look...Hattie

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I prefer not turning them -- a lot of hassle and I prefer to add a bit of batting to the straps so I do the fold over and run several lines of stitching.
    I do this also. I like adding a layer of batting to the inside of the straps.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I use Fasturn Tubes.

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    I would rather save every penny for material so I use a chop stick to turn. Picked it up free at Pei Wei. Sometimes I use a large safety pin.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

I got a pattern for a tote and it showed how to make the handles by cutting 4"x22", wrong sides together, press
    open, one side Fusible fleece, other side of crease interfacing , iron 1/4 edges in toward center, fold over so right sides are out and stitch open side shut; hope this makes sense...but it looks great and is the way I do them all now.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8