Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning Twenty pattern >

Turning Twenty pattern

Turning Twenty pattern

Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 AM

I've picked up 20 fq's at Joanns (.99ea yah!). Five shades of four different colors. Need to get the pattern from my sister yet but my question is this-how do I determine the layout with using just four colors? Or is this one of those "lay the blocks out and go for it" type of things?

TIA, Karen
Old 08-09-2010, 06:36 AM

Each FQ is cut the same then you play with your blocks if I remember right. Easy quilt. Give us pictures!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM

I did turning twenty and was not careful with the first few blocks, got a few pieces in the wrong way and it made the final layout a little difficult but I lived with it as I had made them. It was kind of neat because I made the turning twenty for my DD 21st birthday. I was not finished that year so I counted the border at the 22nd fabric and she got it for age 22.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM

If you shuffle the various pieces in a specific order you will have a variety of blocks to use when you put them together row by row. Kind of like the Buggy Barn technique. I really like this pattern and the Turning Twenty Again pattern. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM

I've made three of the turning twenty pattern. If you check my blog below, you can see all three in the same place.
I cut out all of the pieces and then looking at the layout on the picture, I lay them on the floor in the right place and then start moving them around. The last thing that I do, is add the border pieces.
I number all twenty blocks in order ( 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16 & 17-20) and safety pin the three pieces together. If a block is next to a border piece, I pin all together. ( On the 4 corners, I mark the border piece top or side) I sew on my border pieces as I make my squares.
If you only have the measurements and no picture, there are many pictures of the pattern on the internet. Just print out a picture of the pattern front. It may help to number each block on the picture, also. At the sewing machine, put together each block and then each row, by looking at the location of each piece on your pattern.
As I finish each block, I pin the number to the TOP of each block to help me keep the direction straight when I piece the rows. When I sew the blocks together, my quilt top is finished and the border has already been added.